What's new

iOS 6.1 Released

An interview with musclenerd ende up being an article on ibtimes. He's hinted that this weekend will be a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

ah okay thanks. maybe ill just update for the heck of it.

abbdc1 said:
Can some one post a link with 6.1 ipsw for download .. Thanks

You don't need one. You gat it by going to Settings>General>Software Update and clicking the download button for an OTA update or by connecting your iPhone to iTunes on your computer and checking for updates through iTunes, then downloading it to your iPhone.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

djqwikcut said:
When the 6.1 untethered jailbreak comes out, will we be able to install over 5.1.1 jailbreak so we don't need to setup the phone and all tweaks etc again?

You can't install one jailbreak over another. You have to restore your iPhone and update to the latest iOS while connected to iTunes on your computer. This removes the jailbreak. Once on the latest iOS version, and if a jailbreak is available, you can jailbreak on the new iOS. This does require that you individually load all your jailbroken apps and tweaks onto your phone.

You don't need one. You gat it by going to Settings>General>Software Update and clicking the download button for an OTA update or by connecting your iPhone to iTunes on your computer and checking for updates through iTunes, then downloading it to your iPhone.

Yeah thanks for ur answer but I jut did that ,the think is when I try to restore it in iTunes I get an error and I have looked on google after the firmware and downloaded on my PC but error again... That's way I asking you for a link.

You can't install one jailbreak over another. You have to restore your iPhone and update to the latest iOS while connected to iTunes on your computer. This removes the jailbreak. Once on the latest iOS version, and if a jailbreak is available, you can jailbreak on the new iOS. This does require that you individually load all your jailbroken apps and tweaks onto your phone.

Well that stinks.. Is there no way to
Backup everything to restore? This will take hours with the way I have 5.1.1 configured

djqwikcut said:
Well that stinks.. Is there no way to
Backup everything to restore? This will take hours with the way I have 5.1.1 configured

The reason you do it one at a time is in case one of your jailbroken apps or tweaks is not compatible with the new iOS. This way you'll know right away which app or tweak is causing the problem.

You can back up settings and jailbroken tweaks and such to restore after a firmware restore using Cydia apps like pkgbackup. They're pretty limited on what they can or can't backup.

As for OTA updating, your APTickets will be unusable on the case that you'll be needing to use them after the window closes for 6.1 as the APTickets from OTA updates differ from those through iTunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Do I need to be in DFU mode to "restore iPhone" to 6.1 or just do it?

If you're jailbroken at the moment, it's a possible requirement in my books for restoring. If you're on a clean device, you can use the Restore feature. You can use DFU mode as well for clean devices, that choice is up to you really

I'm sitting here thinking... For someone who has 5.1.1 perfectly modded and jb what advantages are there to 6.1?

As far as the Jailbreak goes... nothing. However, there's quite a few stock iOS improvements that 6.0+ adds over 5.1.1.

What are the improvements? My wife has a stock 4s running 6.1 and I see nothing big except maybe do no disturb but I have a jb tweak for this.