What's new

iOS 5 beta 2

NEW: After creating a recurring event locally on the device, the device stops syncing after hitting an error on merge. Removing and re-adding the account acts as workaround for this.

Calendar:

NEW: All MobileMe calendars were duplicated after turning calendar syncing off and back on.
NEW: If you launch or manually refresh Calendars on an iPad, your calendars might disappear and you will have to tap "Show All Calendars" to display them again.

Graphics:

NEW: In the iOS 5 beta 2, the data type of the center property of GLKSkyboxEffect of the GLKit framework has been changed from GLfloat * to GLKVector3.

Icloud backup:

NEW: After restoring, you may not be able to back up again because the device still thinks it's restoring. To workaround this issue try syncing apps or media that are missing form iTunes or try deleting your iCloud account and adding it back.

NEW: If you delete your backup, the feature will be disabled but settings may still indicate that it is enabled and you will have to toggle the BackUp to Cloud switch in Settings.

Icloud storage

NEW: In this beta, the setSortDescriptors: method of NSMetadataQuery is not supported.
NEW: In this beta, if you want to use iCloud, you have to manually specify various container identifiers (your application’s Display set) within an Entitlements file for both of your Mac OS X and iOS projects.
NEW: There are issues using the Cloud Storage document API in conjunction with protected data which can lead to data corruption.
NEW: In this beta, document-based applications cannot always detect when files change, move, or are deleted out from underneath them.
NEW: In this beta, file presenters (objects that adopt the NSFilePresenter protocol) do not receive some of the messages that they're supposed to receive, especially:

NEW: In this beta, messages about changes to files in a directory are not getting delivered to objects that adopt the NSFilePresenter protocol.

Imassage:

NEW: iMessage seed 2 will be unable to communicate with iMessage users on seed 1.

MMS:

NEW: Sending an MMS of large videos does not work.

Settings
NEW: The “Back Up Now” button is enabled without the backup data class being enabled for the account.
NEW: If you bring up the keyboard of the terms in Settings->General->Software Update, you cannot dismiss it. You have to force quit Settings to get out.

WiFi Syncing
In iOS 5.0 beta 2, wireless syncing is now available for the Mac. It requires iTunes 10.5 beta 2 and OS X 10.6.8 or Lion. You will see an option to enable wireless syncing when you connect your device to iTunes with the USB cable. It is recommended you perform your initial sync with a cable after restoring your device.
Wireless syncing is triggered automatically when the device is connected to power and on the same network as the paired computer. Or, you can manually trigger a sync from iTunes or from Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync (same network as paired computer required). Be sure your device is plugged into a power source when performing Wireless syncs.
If you find issues with apps, media and/or photos synced to your device, you can reset then resync. From Settings -> General -> Reset, choose Erase all Content and Settings. Then reconnect to iTunes and sync again.
In this beta, iTunes may incorrectly report Photos as "Other" in the capacity bar. Photo syncing otherwise works as expected.

Last edited:
mac mini is the cheaper one but you have to provide your own keyboard and monitor but i like the imac and macbook pro and if i had the money for it i would like the mac pro

As soon as I can afford one I'll be getting a mac book. What one depends on how much bonus I get in the comming months. Lol...

Icloud backup:

NEW: After restoring, you may not be able to back up again because the device still thinks it's restoring. To workaround this issue try syncing apps or media that are missing form iTunes or try deleting your iCloud account and adding it back.

NEW: If you delete your backup, the feature will be disabled but settings may still indicate that it is enabled and you will have to toggle the BackUp to Cloud switch in Settings.

Icloud storage

NEW: In this beta, the setSortDescriptors: method of NSMetadataQuery is not supported.
NEW: In this beta, if you want to use iCloud, you have to manually specify various container identifiers (your application’s Display set) within an Entitlements file for both of your Mac OS X and iOS projects.
NEW: There are issues using the Cloud Storage document API in conjunction with protected data which can lead to data corruption.
NEW: In this beta, document-based applications cannot always detect when files change, move, or are deleted out from underneath them.
NEW: In this beta, file presenters (objects that adopt the NSFilePresenter protocol) do not receive some of the messages that they're supposed to receive, especially:

WiFi Syncing
In iOS 5.0 beta 2, wireless syncing is now available for the Mac. It requires iTunes 10.5 beta 2 and OS X 10.6.8 or Lion. You will see an option to enable wireless syncing when you connect your device to iTunes with the USB cable. It is recommended you perform your initial sync with a cable after restoring your device.
Wireless syncing is triggered automatically when the device is connected to power and on the same network as the paired computer. Or, you can manually trigger a sync from iTunes or from Settings -> General -> iTunes Sync (same network as paired computer required). Be sure your device is plugged into a power source when performing Wireless syncs.
If you find issues with apps, media and/or photos synced to your device, you can reset then resync. From Settings -> General -> Reset, choose Erase all Content and Settings. Then reconnect to iTunes and sync again.
In this beta, iTunes may incorrectly report Photos as "Other" in the capacity bar. Photo syncing otherwise works as expected.

I'm having an issue where it won't let me do a couple of things:

1) I cannot sign into iCloud using my apple id (It only lets me use my me.com adress)
Shouldn't i be able to use my apple id which my itunes is using? This is not my me.com email address

2) I cannot use wifi sync. I am on the same network as my mac of course. I have itunes beta 10.5 v2 as well as osx 10.6.8 installed. I'm also plugged in to a power source and have enabled wifi sync in itunes itself. I called apple and they told me CDMA wifi sync and icloud isn't working as of yet just GSM version. Judging from your post, this obviously is not true. Thoughts??

As soon as I can afford one I'll be getting a mac book. What one depends on how much bonus I get in the comming months. Lol...

macbook does look good... if your gonna get the macbook you should go pro though they are much better

True... the low end macbook and the low end macbook pro have over £100 difference

£867 and £999 for the mbp. thats for the 13" though where the screen is tiny and hard to multi task properly but its nice to carry around if you travel a lot with it

macbook does look good... if your gonna get the macbook you should go pro though they are much better

100% Agree. Get the pro, it is amazing! Mine is still going strong from 07 without a hitch. Going to upgrade to a quad core this year though

True... the low end macbook and the low end macbook pro have over £100 difference

£867 and £999 for the mbp. thats for the 13" though where the screen is tiny and hard to multi task properly but its nice to carry around if you travel a lot with it

I'm planing on getting the pro and the biggest screen I think 16" or 17" but that going to be early next year if I arrive to save enough. It cost about $2750 at the apple store here.

100% Agree. Get the pro, it is amazing! Mine is still going strong from 07 without a hitch. Going to upgrade to a quad core this year though

thats a good amount of time for the macbook pro to last. what model did you go with? 15/17?

I'm planing on getting the pro and the biggest screen I think 16" or 17" but that going to be early next year if I arrive to save enough. It cost about $2750 at the apple store here.

its 17" though i like the screen size i think it will be like a brick to carry around i would never go for the 17"