What's new

Introducing beth4510

beth4510

Reaction score
I'm a new iPhone user, in fact I haven't decided if I'm keeping it. I'm trying to understand what this phone can do for me and what I'm giving up. I've been a PDA/smartphone user for almost 10 years, and I'm used to doing a lot with my handheld. This is the first Apple product I have ever purchased. Thanks for the personal welcome!

Welcome to the forum, Beth. I don't know what you want out of a smartphone specifically, but having tried both (not the Windows phone) I can say that the iOS is more stable than the Android OS, and the capabilities are there for all types of users. Get back with your decision.

Hello beth and welcome! 10 year PDA user to suddenly switch to the iphone there must be a lot you will not be used to or hate or like about the iphone, it will take some time to get used to the iphone and what it can do for you.. what kind of things do you need in a phone? what is a must for you? or a cant live with out feature(s)?

I'm a new iPhone user, in fact I haven't decided if I'm keeping it. I'm trying to understand what this phone can do for me and what I'm giving up. I've been a PDA/smartphone user for almost 10 years, and I'm used to doing a lot with my handheld. This is the first Apple product I have ever purchased. Thanks for the personal welcome!

Welcome to the forum. That device you just purchase is capable of doing more than you can think. Ask to know, "can iPhone do this? Can it do that? Etc..." and I will tell you "yes" the iPhone can do all of it, but just so you know, jailbreaking it will be first thing to do to be able to do everything.

Just so you all know, I am on day 4 of my 14 day trial with my iPhone, and so far many features impress me. What I wanted (and got) from my Smartphone was the ability to increase my personal productivity on the go with the freedom of not having to lug around my laptop. So the one gap I've discovered (so far) and why I'm consulting the Forum, is whether there is anything like ActiveSync that allows me to copy a Word/Excel/Powerpoint file to my device, edit the file on my device, attach it to an email from my device, and sync the updates back to my laptop when I return to my office. I am told a 3rd party app would be required, which is fine, but the reviews are so mixed, I don't know who to trust. Documents to Go and Quickoffice Pro are the leading candidates. Anyone have experience with either one? Thanks for the tip on the greater stability of the iOS compared to Android, which I found to be noticeably more stable than the windows mobile OS. Another battle the iPhone won over the Droid is the ability to pair with my portable wireless keyboard. I had a Droid for 6 months, tried all of the bluetooth keyboard drivers in the app store, and none worked. The iPhone paired immediately, big win! Jailbreaking sounds scary, and will not be something I'll consider during my trial.
One other question, so, don't people use titles on their messages?

Beth..... most people don't title replies. But not a bad idea. And..... thanks for the issues you raised above regarding ActiveSync, etc. Those I can't address, sorry.
However, may I ask a "productivity" question relating to screen size. You compared the Droid to the iPhone and I wonder whether you consider the smaller screen size of the iPhone a negative. I sometimes wonder if a somewhat larger screen would drastically increase the user's experience. I tend to believe not so. Comment?

I don't find the smaller screen size of the iPhone to hamper productivity. I hadn't noticed, frankly.

Hi Beth! Welcome to the world of Apple! LOL I jumped in for the first time 2 months ago, and I'm very happy! I'm curious to know if anyone can answer your question about active sync... I would find that useful as well!

Hi Bethe and welcome,

I run small Buisness and used psion pda's xp 5 & 5a, all the mobil windows phones locked up badly, faced with going android or iPhone 4 i went with a known stable if expensive phone and have never regretted it.

I like the extra security offered from the ability to track and even wipe the phone remotely (via mobilme) should it be lost, or worse stolen.

You phone is backed up via iTunes, should you loose or break your phone, your new phone will sync and be 'as was' within an hour..

I use both evernote and 'docstogo' both good apps and are brilliant at document handling between pc and phone, but I don't use powerpoint.

For invoicing and quotes I use 'ring it up'.

I never liked the melted shape of the iPhone 3, but the 4's crisp shape and display quality simply stomps all the so called opposition IMHO.

Major advantage if not jail broken (and i haven't), Apple control the apps so any duff ones soon get pulled.

CP

Hi All
I wanted to let you know that I'm keeping the iPhone 4. Documents to Go works well. The deal was clinched when I got it to wirelessly sync my Outlook Notes. No Droid or Windows phone could do that! Thank you for the advice and perspectives.
Beth

Hi All
I wanted to let you know that I'm keeping the iPhone 4. Documents to Go works well. The deal was clinched when I got it to wirelessly sync my Outlook Notes. No Droid or Windows phone could do that! Thank you for the advice and perspectives.
Beth

Glad to hear that you are getting on well with your new iphone four :)