What's new

Interference

If l remember correctly there is a setting that you switch off or on allowing the use of mobile data if the WiFi is weak. Maybe setting this to off might help.

If l remember correctly there is a setting that you switch off or on allowing the use of mobile data if the WiFi is weak. Maybe setting this to off might help.
It’s called WiFi Assist and can be found at Settings>Cellular>WiFi Assist.

None of our phones have been updated to IOS 11 yet. Heard of people having problems. Like you I think it is very strange that it's happened with 2 different phones and 2 different providers. I will try what you have suggested when she comes back tonight. Thanks again for your interest in my problem.

It is indeed puzzling that the issue should be caused by two different phone models each on a different carrier and when using two different broadband providers. Couple of questions to start.

1. Are the TV's using an antenna or are they connected to a cable TV service?

2. Are all TV's in the house affected or only one?

3. Does the problem present itself on all channels or only a few?

4. I am assuming that when the phone is in the house and it is turned completely off (shut down) that the problem goes away. If that is true then the first question to answer is which radio in the phone is causing the issue.

There are three radios in the phone, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and the radio that connects the phone with its cellular network. Start by turning off the phone's Wi-Fi, if the problem persists turn Wi-Fi back on and then turn off Bluetooth in the phone and any Bluetooth devices connected to it. If the problem persists, then turn Bluetooth back on and put the phone in airplane mode to turn off the cellular radios. One of those three steps should have identified which of the phone's radios is causing the issue. Once the offending radio is identified you can decide how best to deal with it. Good luck and post back with the results.

Don’t swap the SIM card. Into one of your iPhone 5s models

Something that could be tried to eliminate the issue is to place ferrite chokes onto all the cable and phone lines. Place the ferrite chokes at each end of the cable or coax or wiring that is being affected. Try to get as many wraps of the ferrite choke around the wire. You may have to look around for the proper mix of ferrite to work for the frequencies that are present. Some ferrite covers broadband of frequencies, some are more specific. Look up what ferrite chokes are and what they do. At worse you’ll gain some knowledge about something. And you may be able to solve your issues with the use of proper ferrite chokes. Hope this helps a little and that you get the issue resolved. Good day.

And what?? You can buy ferrite chokes on eBay or Amazon. They do work. I use them for ham radio operation and I’ll tell you they will kill RFI and TVI if used correctly. And this is what you appear to be having issue with. I could be wrong, but from reading your story, it would seem this is the issue. Again, read up on what RF energy can and will do to electronics and also what RFI/TVI is. It will give you some insight as to how to possibly resolve your issues. Just trying to help here, so please don’t try to flame me for that!!! Have a good day and again, hope you get your issues resolved.

Sorry it went over my head. I'm an OAP so really do not understand your answer.

It is indeed puzzling that the issue should be caused by two different phone models each on a different carrier and when using two different broadband providers. Couple of questions to start.

1. Are the TV's using an antenna or are they connected to a cable TV service?

2. Are all TV's in the house affected or only one?

3. Does the problem present itself on all channels or only a few?

4. I am assuming that when the phone is in the house and it is turned completely off (shut down) that the problem goes away. If that is true then the first question to answer is which radio in the phone is causing the issue.

There are three radios in the phone, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and the radio that connects the phone with its cellular network. Start by turning off the phone's Wi-Fi, if the problem persists turn Wi-Fi back on and then turn off Bluetooth in the phone and any Bluetooth devices connected to it. If the problem persists, then turn Bluetooth back on and put the phone in airplane mode to turn off the cellular radios. One of those three steps should have identified which of the phone's radios is causing the issue. Once the offending radio is identified you can decide how best to deal with it. Good luck and post back with the results.

Turned her phone into airphone mode and it stopped. What do we do now?