What's new

iMessage/SMS Toggle for SBSettings

dan448899

Reaction score
Anybody know if there's a toggle for SBSettings to toggle iMessage on and off?

I'm not sure about SBS but you can turn on/off iMessage in settings easily.

Not that I know of, but why would you want to turn iMessage off? (just wondering)
During the day, the building I'm in has very little cell phone service, and I find that using data services like iMessage deplete the battery more than regular text messaging.

Text message doesn't use 3G data. How would it be possible to send a text with NO data connection at all then?

Text message is working over 2G network. Now you can google to know more about 2G network if you wish to know more.

Text messages are sent over your cellular data, whether it's 3G or 2G, the same way iMessage works. The only difference is iMessage will work on a wifi only connection whereas SMS requires a cellular data connection.

Ok no. Text does not use cell data. Turn off edge and 3g and you can still send a text. Also how do you think people on sprint and verizon send a text while on a call. I just left sprint and did that all the time. Imessage uses data but not a standard text. Otherwise my data usage would be thru the roof and not the 142 megs ive used this week with over 1000 texts

Text messages are sent over your cellular data, whether it's 3G or 2G, the same way iMessage works. The only difference is iMessage will work on a wifi only connection whereas SMS requires a cellular data connection.
this is my understanding as well. and imessage only works to others on idevices running ios5 or later. maybe someone already said this but regular text msg runs thru cellular phone signal where imessage works on the data portion of our plans - right ?
Ok no. Text does not use cell data. Turn off edge and 3g and you can still send a text. Also how do you think people on sprint and verizon send a text while on a call. I just left sprint and did that all the time. Imessage uses data but not a standard text. Otherwise my data usage would be thru the roof and not the 142 megs ive used this week with over 1000 texts
when I turn off my 3G cellular my texts do not go thru. not sure what u mean here??

Last edited:
Yeah uses cell towers. Same reason landlines can get a text message. Uses absolutely no data. I just disabled all data on the phone and sent a text to a sprint user. No issue at all.

Of course a text uses data, it's ridiculous to say it doesn't. It may be a small amount of data, but it is still sending data, and yes you do need a cellular connection to send a text. Enable airplane mode and you will see that you won't be able to send or receive texts. SMS requires a cellular data connection(be it 2G or 3G).

Pianoman, to answer your question, yes, iMessage comes out of your data plan(unless you are on a Wi-Fi only connection).

Yeah uses cell towers. Same reason landlines can get a text message. Uses absolutely no data. I just disabled all data on the phone and sent a text to a sprint user. No issue at all.

You landlines use digital communication, 2G and since 2G support data, it can send and receive SMS.

Maybe there needs to be a bit of clarification. Sms uses a form of data that however doesnt count towards a data plan nor does it need data services to be active. In fact you can block data on your line and still use sms. Mms however does require a data connection. Easiest way to test this theory is turn off all data, pull up a webpage till you get then cannot connect error ensuring data is off, send a text and verify it goes through. Data as far as a data plan doesnt get used what so ever for sms, imessage does however.