What's new

How to use TinyUmbrella to check which SHSH you have saved

Jmills87

Reaction score
I just wanted to do a quick write-up on how to check TinyUmbrella to see what SHSH you have saved. Many times when people upgrade their firmware to a firmware that does not have an untethered jailbreak available they want to downgrade.

Unfortunately, more times than not, this person will not even know what an SHSH is or if they do know what it is, they won't know how to save it or how to check if they already have it saved.

The first thing you want to do is download the latest TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella Next you want to open TinyUmbrella and go to the "Advanced" tab and check the box that says "Request SHSH from Cydia"

requestl.jpg

Now that you've done that, connect your device if it's not already connected. You will see the device listed in the left-hand pane. Highlight it and then click the "Save SHSH button"

savezk.jpg

Now go back to the "General" tab and you will see a list of all the available SHSHs you have saved for that particular device. Using the TSS Server that is built in to TinyUmbrella you can bypass iTunes verification servers and downgrade to any firmware for which you have the SHSH saved.

savedpf.jpg

*IMPORTANT* After doing this, make sure to go back to the "Advanced" tab and uncheck the "Request SHSH from Cydia" box. If you don't do this, TinyUmbrella will not save future SHSH keys when you click "Save SHSH."

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good and detailed post...

Thanks for the contribution!

i tried going from 4.2.7 to 4.2.8 in tiny umbrella but it doesn't work. if i have 4.2.7 currently on my iphone and i have 4.2.8 saved in tiny umbrella and i want 4.2.8 on my iphone. do i upgrade to 4.2.10 in itunes and then downgrade to 4.2.8 in tiny umbrella? thx

There not much point in upgrading to 4.2.8. The update was very minor and was mostly to stop jailbreakers...

okay tinyumbrella has found my shsh which is 4.3.3(8j2).
but how do i actually do the downgrading process?
And do i have to put my phone into dsu mode?
Im on the newest firmware which is 4.3.5(8l1)
Thanks!

Last edited:
okay tinyumbrella has found my shsh which is 4.3.3(8j2).
but how do i actually do the downgrading process?
And do i have to put my phone into dsu mode?
Im on the newest firmware which is 4.3.5(8l1)
Thanks!

Can someone answer this for me?
how can i downgrade it? I See the shsh but just dont know how to downgrade back to the firmware.
All the help is appreciated.

phreshgunz said:
how can i downgrade it? I See the shsh but just dont know how to downgrade back to the firmware.

OK, so if you are sure you have your SHSH shown for 4.3.3 in TU, it should simply be a matter of downloading the 4.3.3 firmware from this thread - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Then press the "Start TSS Server" button in TU.

If you want to put your phone into DFU mode, use this guide here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Then connect your iPhone to iTunes, and press shift-restore (option-restore on a Mac) and it will let you select the 4.3.3 firmware file you downloaded earlier. That should restore 4.3.3 onto your phone.
Then you can just visit jalbreakme.com to jailbreak it!

Last edited:
phreshgunz said:

OK, so if you are sure you have your SHSH shown for 4.3.3 in TU, it should simply be a matter of downloading the 4.3.3 firmware from this thread - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

Then press the "Start TSS Server" button in TU.

If you want to put your phone into DFU mode, use this guide here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/dfu-mode-dummies-16020/

Then connect your iPhone to iTunes, and press shift-restore (option-restore on a Mac) and it will let you select the 4.3.3 firmware file you downloaded earlier. That should restore 4.3.3 onto your phone.
Then you can just visit jalbreakme.com to jailbreak it!

Okay thanks!
can this method also apply to an ipod touch 4g?