What's new

How to know if phone is unlocked

hinds90

Reaction score
I purchased my phone from a Apple Store so will it be unlocked. Thinking about switching to T-Mobile.

Anyone hear rumors about Verizon disconnecting grandfathered unlimited data if you exceed a certain data point?

Well if I'm affected by this I'll be moving over to sprint or tmobile. Crazy they would do this. Anyone still on unlimited data is a loyal customer.

That awkward moment when your phone carrier sells you unlimited data that actually has a limit.

I think what the OP was really asking is how can you tell, without having to stuff other carrier SIMs into the iPhone to determine if it's unlocked.

It would be nice is there was something in the settings that simply said if the iPhone is locked to a carrier or not.

That awkward moment when your phone carrier sells you unlimited data that actually has a limit.

At least the cellular industry has been more honest and straight forward than cable TV, Internet, Satellite companies, music industry.

I remember back in 1984 when cell phones came out, the cell companies openly admitted the cell service would be expensive until more people adopt and sign on for service. They said the more people who sign up, over the next years/decade, the prices will drop for everyone. Back in '84 it costs $50/mo with no minutes. Each minute cost $0.50 additional. Now days, you can get unlimited text and voice for $35-45.

I remember when CD's first came out and they were more money than the record or tape. The music industry told us if we adopt CD's, the manufacturing price will drop and albums would also drop. Turns out it was a big lie, as CD prices continued to rise a decade after the first CD's came out and everyone adopted the technology.

At least the cellular industry doesn't lie as bad as other technology industries.

I think what the OP was really asking is how can you tell, without having to stuff other carrier SIMs into the iPhone to determine if it's unlocked.

It would be nice is there was something in the settings that simply said if the iPhone is locked to a carrier or not.
I don't believe there's a way to tell, on the iPhone itself, whether or not it is unlocked without trying a SIM card from another carrier.