What's new

how to delete Documents and Data on IOS 5.0.1?

Thundercracker

Reaction score
i hate the additional document and data thats been added on my storage while browsing Facebook on iPhone. It seems there is no option to delete it but to uninstall the program. FB is just only 16mB and now it burst to 98mb just browsing on it...and still its growing up everytime you browse.

How to Remove "Other" Data from Your iPhone | Mac|Life

but when im using facebook on safari, it doesnt eat any memory at all, only the facebook iphone app does.

its just not only FB, but also in the other apps! i hope apple can resolve this...its annoying to delete and install the apps again just to clear the consumed space...

it seems here have the option to delete: iOS 5 Offers A New Way to Manage Storage | LEi Mobile

or why they removed that options from the IOS 5 beta!!! arggh!!!! we need it!!!!!!!

It's not an issue. It's just the app's cache from you viewing profiles and pictures and such. You can just uninstall and reinstall if it's that big of a problem for you.

well its a hassle for me just to remove and install again !^ just browsing for Facebook apps eats a lot of space in MB!!!!! i wish apple will fix this...

this is the one i dont like in IOS 5.0.1...previous software versions are not like this...

Thundercracker said:
well its a hassle for me just to remove and install again !^ just browsing for Facebook apps eats a lot of space in MB!!!!! i wish apple will fix this...

this is the one i dont like in IOS 5.0.1...previous software versions are not like this...

I don't believe it is an apple thing. Just an app thing. The same with droids I'm sure. Right?

Actually on the droids you have options for clearing cache and data on apps. Its one thing I miss coming over from a droid.

DRad2003 said:
Actually on the droids you have options for clearing cache and data on apps. Its one thing I miss coming over from a droid.

I guess your right. I had forgot about that. Maybe someone will make an app for this.

I get to the "Usage" option in Settings and under a specific app I see a "Documents and Data" area. One can apparently get it to show a minus symbol next to it, where you can delete the documents and data without deleting the app, but I can't figure out how to get that minus sign to appear. I swiped every which way, but nothing, and I clicked the Delete App button, but it only promised to delete the entire app - not just the documents and data. How is it done?

$iPhone-screen.jpg

It must have been an option in beta and they took it out, which is what the OP was talking about.

I don't believe it is an apple thing. Just an app thing. The same with droids I'm sure. Right?
Why?

[Moderator edit: Removed commercial from post. Please, read our rules! Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:
lceberg said:
Why?

[Moderator edit: Removed commercial from post. Please, read our rules! Thanks.]

I misunderstood the op sorry.

I get to the "Usage" option in Settings and under a specific app I see a "Documents and Data" area. One can apparently get it to show a minus symbol next to it, where you can delete the documents and data without deleting the app, but I can't figure out how to get that minus sign to appear. I swiped every which way, but nothing, and I clicked the Delete App button, but it only promised to delete the entire app - not just the documents and data. How is it done?

View attachment 4852

well for now i think they removed that option where u can delete the document and data w/out deleting the whole apps. i wonder why they did it. i think the option to delete was in the beta version of IOS 5

can we appeal to apple for this? or should we wait for the next software update if they will put this back again? we REALLY need this for more comfort!

Last edited:
I just noticed this as well :(
my "Documents & Data" from Facebook is 243mb!!!!!! Thats insane - there has to be a way I can clean that up!

Anyone have any ideas?

Take care,
Rob

Can you appeal to apple? No.... You can't "appeal" to apple. Not to mention this is nowhere near the other more serious issues like concern number 1. Battery life and drainage. Apple needs to fix that first, before they even think about something like clearing cache on an app...

Supahrob said:
I just noticed this as well :(
my "Documents & Data" from Facebook is 243mb!!!!!! Thats insane - there has to be a way I can clean that up!

Anyone have any ideas?

Take care,
Rob

I removed it from my iPad it was closing NONstop ESP if my iPhone was in the proximity of the IPad.
Now I don't want to remove from the iPhone but it's lagging (FB app for iPhone sucks in my opinion)
I'm considering uninstalling and reinstalling.
If its a method of cleaning up, at least there IS a method and it will help.(hopefully)
FB has been actin horribly for me.