how to delete Documents and Data on IOS 5.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone General Discussion' started by Thundercracker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Thundercracker

Thundercracker New Member

i hate the additional document and data thats been added on my storage while browsing Facebook on iPhone. It seems there is no option to delete it but to uninstall the program. FB is just only 16mB and now it burst to 98mb just browsing on it...and still its growing up everytime you browse.

How to Remove "Other" Data from Your iPhone | Mac|Life

but when im using facebook on safari, it doesnt eat any memory at all, only the facebook iphone app does.

its just not only FB, but also in the other apps! i hope apple can resolve this...its annoying to delete and install the apps again just to clear the consumed space...

it seems here have the option to delete: iOS 5 Offers A New Way to Manage Storage | LEi Mobile

or why they removed that options from the IOS 5 beta!!! arggh!!!! we need it!!!!!!!
  2. Chris951

Chris951 New Member

It's not an issue. It's just the app's cache from you viewing profiles and pictures and such. You can just uninstall and reinstall if it's that big of a problem for you.
  3. Thundercracker

well its a hassle for me just to remove and install again !^ just browsing for Facebook apps eats a lot of space in MB!!!!! i wish apple will fix this...

this is the one i dont like in IOS 5.0.1...previous software versions are not like this...
  4. dengirl

dengirl New Member

I don't believe it is an apple thing. Just an app thing. The same with droids I'm sure. Right?
  5. DRad2003

DRad2003 New Member

Actually on the droids you have options for clearing cache and data on apps. Its one thing I miss coming over from a droid.
  6. dengirl

dengirl New Member

I guess your right. I had forgot about that. Maybe someone will make an app for this.
  7. Tricon7

Tricon7 Member

I get to the "Usage" option in Settings and under a specific app I see a "Documents and Data" area. One can apparently get it to show a minus symbol next to it, where you can delete the documents and data without deleting the app, but I can't figure out how to get that minus sign to appear. I swiped every which way, but nothing, and I clicked the Delete App button, but it only promised to delete the entire app - not just the documents and data. How is it done?

$iPhone-screen.jpg
  8. xrayeyes

xrayeyes Moderator Staff Member

It must have been an option in beta and they took it out, which is what the OP was talking about.
  9. lceberg

lceberg New Member

Why?

[Moderator edit: Removed commercial from post. Please, read our rules! Thanks.]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  10. dengirl

dengirl New Member

I misunderstood the op sorry.
  11. Thundercracker

well for now i think they removed that option where u can delete the document and data w/out deleting the whole apps. i wonder why they did it. i think the option to delete was in the beta version of IOS 5

can we appeal to apple for this? or should we wait for the next software update if they will put this back again? we REALLY need this for more comfort!
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  12. Supahrob

Supahrob New Member

I just noticed this as well :(
    my "Documents & Data" from Facebook is 243mb!!!!!! Thats insane - there has to be a way I can clean that up!

Anyone have any ideas?

Take care,
    Rob
  13. Primetime

Primetime New Member

Can you appeal to apple? No.... You can't "appeal" to apple. Not to mention this is nowhere near the other more serious issues like concern number 1. Battery life and drainage. Apple needs to fix that first, before they even think about something like clearing cache on an app...
  14. njshoremom4gurlz

njshoremom4gurlz New Member

Hey icloud and amazon cloud etc they'll find a way to get us to buy more cloud space is my guess????!!!
  15. njshoremom4gurlz

njshoremom4gurlz New Member

I removed it from my iPad it was closing NONstop ESP if my iPhone was in the proximity of the IPad.
    Now I don't want to remove from the iPhone but it's lagging (FB app for iPhone sucks in my opinion)
    I'm considering uninstalling and reinstalling.
    If its a method of cleaning up, at least there IS a method and it will help.(hopefully)
    FB has been actin horribly for me.
  16. Supahrob

Supahrob New Member

Hmm - I realize lots of people (myself included) are having problems with battery drain... but lots of people are NOT having issues. So saying that is "concern no. 1" may be a stretch. I am sure it may well indeed be "no. 1" for you - but, again, not for everyone. Also - THIS thread was about an issue with Facebook and storage usage. Not sure what the point was to come in and basically tell us that we should wait on our issue until your pet issue was dealt with. Any reason in particular that we cant mention both to Apple? The iphone is a pretty advanced device - surely the designers of such a piece of technology have the ability and resources to look into one - two... dare I say it, even THREE issues at once? I know - MADNESS!!!!!!!!! But I have faith in Apple. I bet they can do it!!

NJShoremom - I guess I am glad there is a least some way of dealing with it as well. I haven't done that yet - but I am considering it lol. I usually think of options like that as going nuclear - and sometimes a good nuke fixes everything lol!

Take care,
    Rob
  17. Supahrob

Supahrob New Member

Yeah, I find it annoying as well - there should at least be SOME way to clean it out every so often.

Take care,
    Rob
  18. tossnara

tossnara New Member

Document & Data on iPhone is junks files including browser history, cookies, logs, caches of photos and videos, database files stored by your apps. You’ll notice that some apps while being very small themselves have accumulated a lot of data. An example of this is shown in the image below, you see that the Facebook app is 109 MB whereas the Documents & Data stored is 1.2 GB. This 1.2 GB is what goes into your “Other” data.
    $facebook_app.png
    These apps on iPhone don’t provide a way to delete Documents and Data, uninstalling and reinstalling the app is not the best option here. You can use CleanMyPhone (developer by Fireebok Studio) or PhoneClean to delete the documents and data without deleting the app itself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014