What's new

How do you downgrade back to iOS 9 iPhone 6s

Googlyspockuser

Reaction score
I really am wanting to go back to iOS 9 not only for the jailbreak but because my phone ran so much smoother on the firmware and I would love to go back to those days. I am willing to do a lot with my phone to get it back the way I want it

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

It's impossible to downgrade to iOS 9. That software is not signed by Apple any more. You'd have to use iTunes to revert to a previous software version. During the process, iTunes is connected to Apple's servers which make sure you install the "right" one (signed by Apple, which are 10.2.1 and 10.3 at the moment). If you try installing another iOS than the ones mentioned, you'll get error 3194, and it will be impossible to proceed.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

It's impossible to downgrade to iOS 9. That software is not signed by Apple any more. You'd have to use iTunes to revert to a previous software version. During the process, iTunes is connected to Apple's servers which make sure you install the "right" one (signed by Apple, which are 10.2.1 and 10.3 at the moment). If you try installing another iOS than the ones mentioned, you'll get error 3194, and it will be impossible to proceed.

I feel that there is always a way they have Prometheus, tiny umbrella, and many more tools that help with downgrading to any unsigned software. You mean to tell me that there is no possible solution like using a masquerading an unsigned software with a signed one??

I feel that there is always a way they have Prometheus, tiny umbrella, and many more tools that help with downgrading to any unsigned software. You mean to tell me that there is no possible solution like using a masquerading an unsigned software with a signed one??
None of those tools are of any use in downgrading to an unsigned version of iOS.

None of those tools are of any use in downgrading to an unsigned version of iOS.

Prometheus is used for downgrading 64 bit devices to a lower firmware and tiny umbrella is for 32 bit, tiny umbrella is used for saving SHSH blobs and downgrading.

Try iOS 10.3, my 6S Plus is much faster* now.

*sure feels faster and is much smoother, your mileage may vary.

Isn't that the update with the new APFS?? Shouldn't that slow down the device slightly or how does that work??

Exactly. That's the update with the new APFS.
From what I've read so far, it doesn't slow down your device. On the contrary. And it will free up a little bit of your storage space on the iPhone, up to 7.8 GB, depending on your device.

Exactly. That's the update with the new APFS.
From what I've read so far, it doesn't slow down your device. On the contrary. And it will free up a little bit of your storage space on the iPhone, up to 7.8 GB, depending on your device.

Does it delete old firmwares from your device?? How does it not slow it down, people have does geek bench runs and the phone goes not much slower, but slower nonetheless. Just watch EverythingApplePro's video on it.

Old firmware versions are not on an iOS device, they're deleted after the successful installation of a newer iOS version. New iOS versions can be more CPU intensive and can require more RAM to run smoothly. It is because of this and other things that newer iOS versions will be at their best on the newest devices.

iOS 10.3 brings performance improvements to any device capable of running iOS 10.2.1.

Old firmware versions are not on an iOS device, they're deleted after the successful installation of a newer iOS version. New iOS versions can be more CPU intensive and can require more RAM to run smoothly. It is because of this and other things that newer iOS versions will be at their best on the newest devices.

iOS 10.3 brings performance improvements to any device capable of running iOS 10.2.1.

Oh that makes so much more sense than what I was thinking about when you update because every time I deleted all my saved data and factory reset my iPhone I always wondered why it didn't downgrade as well. But now my long lived question is answered