What's new

Want to downgrade from iOS 10.3.1 to iOS 9

Jessica113

Reaction score
Quite disappointed with iOS 10.3.1.
Many people told me that update to the latest iOS system would make iPhone smoother and faster, and free up extra GB space at the same time.
I am using iPhone 6 (16GB), and upgrade to iOS 10.3.1 recently,
the result is my iPhone becomes so slow, and just free up extra MB space at all.
want to downgrade to iOS 9, but EDITED as well as iOS 10.2 & iOS 10.3.

Is there any way to downgrade to iOS 9? No jailbreak, and thx.

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPhoneForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way to downgrade to a software version not signed by Apple. Sorry!

Quite disappointed with iOS 10.3.1.
Many people told me that update to the latest iOS system would make iPhone smoother and faster, and free up extra GB space at the same time.
I am using iPhone 6 (16GB), and upgrade to iOS 10.3.1 recently,
the result is my iPhone becomes so slow, and just free up extra MB space at all.
want to downgrade to iOS 9, but EDITED as well as iOS 10.2 & iOS 10.3.

Is there any way to downgrade to iOS 9? No jailbreak, and thx.
What iOS version were you on before the upgrade? It can take a while for the iPhone to re-index after an iOS update. This can be anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on how full the storage on your iPhone is and how long it's been since you've last updated. Also, iOS 10.3 introduces the Apple file system and converting all your files can take a while.

What iOS version were you on before the upgrade? It can take a while for the iPhone to re-index after an iOS update. This can be anywhere from a few hours to a few days, depending on how full the storage on your iPhone is and how long it's been since you've last updated. Also, iOS 10.3 introduces the Apple file system and converting all your files can take a while.
I use iOS 9.3.3 before the upgrade, and made backup.
When I try to restore from the backup, iTunes informed that files can be restored, but the iOS 9 system version cannot be reinstalled

I use iOS 9.3.3 before the upgrade, and made backup.
When I try to restore from the backup, iTunes informed that files can be restored, but the iOS 9 system version cannot be reinstalled
That's what a restore from backup is supposed to do. It restores the iPad to the current operating system and adds all the data from the backup.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go back to the earlier OS from 10.3, due to the entire file system being converted to the newer format. There probably isn't any way to rewrite it to the old system, since the new one almost certainly survives a factory reset.

Part of your problem may be the minimal storage you have to work with. Maybe. 16 GB isn't a lot to work with.