What's new

How do in-app purchases work?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I've never used in-app purchases, but I have an app that uses this method to gain features. Being that I'm ignorant of this payment method, I have a few questions.

1. How much of my payment or personal information becomes visible to the app developer? Apple ID? Credit card?

2. If I restore my iPhone 6 to factory settings, will I be required to pay the in-app payment again?

I assume that this payment method alleviates the need for maintaining two separate apps - a free version and a 'pro' version. Is this assumption correct? What exactly does a developer gain from this payment method? Are there any drawbacks?

I've never used in-app purchases, but I have an app that uses this method to gain features. Being that I'm ignorant of this payment method, I have a few questions.

1. How much of my payment or personal information becomes visible to the app developer? Apple ID? Credit card?

2. If I restore my iPhone 6 to factory settings, will I be required to pay the in-app payment again?

I assume that this payment method alleviates the need for maintaining two separate apps - a free version and a 'pro' version. Is this assumption correct? What exactly does a developer gain from this payment method? Are there any drawbacks?
The app developer sees none of your personal info. Paying for in-app purchases uses the same payment method as buying the original app. You'll receive an email receipt from Apple, just like for any other iTunes or App Store purchase.

Once paid for, you don't have to pay for your in-app purchases again. Apps that offer in-app purchases have a way of restoring previous purchases without paying again.

A free version of an app, after you have made all available in-app purchases, usually has the same functionality as the pro version. It may be cheaper, though, to purchase the pro version up front.

An app developer gains the convenience of not having to handle the payments himself, at the cost of Apple taking its 30% cut. This is why some apps, like Kindle and Audible don't offer in-app purchase to buy new content. You go directly to the developer's website to pay.

The app developer sees none of your personal info. Paying for in-app purchases uses the same payment method as buying the original app. You'll receive an email receipt from Apple, just like for any other iTunes or App Store purchase.

Once paid for, you don't have to pay for your in-app purchases again. Apps that offer in-app purchases have a way of restoring previous purchases without paying again.

A free version of an app, after you have made all available in-app purchases, usually has the same functionality as the pro version. It may be cheaper, though, to purchase the pro version up front.

An app developer gains the convenience of not having to handle the payments himself, at the cost of Apple taking its 30% cut. This is why some apps, like Kindle and Audible don't offer in-app purchase to buy new content. You go directly to the developer's website to pay.
I feel much more comfortable using in-app purchases now. I'm a stickler for security but I'm going to relax my personal practices to allow for this payment method. I'm going to go back and install a few apps that use in-app purchases.

There are a few people here that I was hoping to hear from and you're one of them. Thank you, sir, your knowledge is invaluable.