What's new

Upgrading from a Paid App, to the updated Freemium with IAP version of the same App

SilentDissident

Reaction score
For reasons, I have been living as a luddite for the last couple of years, I had an iPhone 4S that I kept on iOS 6. I had to stop updating a large number of my apps due to requirements of having more recent versions of iOS. This includes some paid Apps that went to a freemium model, free with paid IAP. When this first happened I remember reading that those that previously paid for the earlier versions would be grandfathered to get the IAPs for free or at a reduced price. As I was unable to update to the newer versions of these apps I never looked in to this. Now I have upgraded to the iPhone 6S on iOS 9. Now that I am finally able to update these apps, I want to make sure I follow the correct procedure to ensure that I am grandfathered into the IAPs privileges, that I believe I am entitled to.

Does anyone know how Freemium and the IAP purchasing process know that have you paid of a previous version of the App?

It should be in your App Store purchase history. If you go there, you should be able to download it again for free, unless of course they've written an entirely new version of the app without updating the previous version you purchased. Check the listing for the app in your purchase history and make sure it's been updated.