What's new

Help on iPhone 4

SSkoot9

Reaction score
I want to JB my iPhone 4 (ios 5.1.1) and was wondering which way to turn?
Sn0wbreeze, Redsn0w or Absinthe?
Very new to this, so the easiest is the way I would like to go. Have been reading the forums and realize, I would like to go with untethered if possible.

Can anyone give me some direction and if this is what would be best?

Thanks
SSkoot9

I want to JB my iPhone 4 (ios 5.1.1) and was wondering which way to turn?
Sn0wbreeze, Redsn0w or Absinthe?
Very new to this, so the easiest is the way I would like to go. Have been reading the forums and realize, I would like to go with untethered if possible.

Can anyone give me some direction and if this is what would be best?

Thanks
SSkoot9
Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

What is jailbreaking?

hope this helps......poisonivy.

I would recommend RedSn0w and/or GreenPois0n's Absinthe. Both will be untethered. IF for any reason you somehow get a tethered jailbreak instead, you can just install the Rocky Raccoon tweak from Cydia which makes it an untethered jailbreak if it's tethered. Absinthe uses Rocky Raccoon right off the bat, so that scenario would only be for RedSn0w IF it does occur

I would recommend RedSn0w and/or GreenPois0n's Absinthe. Both will be untethered. IF for any reason you somehow get a tethered jailbreak instead, you can just install the Rocky Raccoon tweak from Cydia which makes it an untethered jailbreak if it's tethered. Absinthe uses Rocky Raccoon right off the bat, so that scenario would only be for RedSn0w IF it does occur

Thanks for the info. Which would you suggest for ease of use? Everything I read points to redsn0w being the best. What version is the newest untethered?

Absinthe in my opinion is a bit easier. The latest untethered jailbreak is iOS 5.1.1 on non-iPhone 3GS iPhones. RedSn0w is an "acquired taste" if you will. You'll need to fiddle around with it to get the grasp of what RedSn0w is really about and how it works. But there are plenty of videos on Youtube. You can Google or Youtube EverythingApplePro, or go to his jailbreaking portion of the website below, and look for the video that corresponds with what you're trying to do. He makes his instructions as simple as possible, and you can always watch it a few times to get the sense of what you need to do, before actually doing it because he makes it looks soooo simple.

EverythingApplePro | Tag Archive | jailbreak

I'll even link you to the video on iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak using Absinthe

NEW Untethered Jailbreak 5.1.1 iPhone 4S/4/3Gs iPad 3/2/1 & iPod 4G/3G – Absinthe 2.0  | EverythingApplePro

Thanks, Going to give Absinthe a try. I have backed up my phone through itunes already, am I amble to JB with everything on the phone as is or do I need to restore to factory and wipe it clean? If I wipe it clean, can I just download my backup after JB and have everything as is but be able to "tweak"?
Last question, any thoughts on updating to ios 6.1 before doing this? Am I missing anything on 5.1.1 that is worth upgrade to ios6.1?

Thanks again