What's new

Have I properly decommissioned my 5S properly?

APX7000

Reaction score
Upgraded to a iPhone 6 from a 5S. I wanted to wipe the 5S completely and set it up with iOS 8.4 so the next person who gets it will have the opportunity to jailbreak it.

I turned off find my iPhone, removed the 4 digit pin, removed my fingerprints. After that, I did a DFU firmware restore and the phone sits at the "Hello" screen now. I received this email from Apple;

----------------email from Apple------------------
Find My iPhone has been disabled on Administrator’s 5s.

With Find My iPhone disabled, this device can no longer be located, placed in Lost Mode, or remotely erased using icloud.com/find or the Find My iPhone iOS app.

In addition, your Apple ID and password will no longer be required for someone to erase, reactivate, and use your iPhone.
--------------end of email------------------------

So can I assume the person I sell or give this iPhone to won't have problems activating and using it?

No, I didn't do anything with iTunes except DFU load 8.4 firmware.

Do I need to somehow log out of iTunes? Not sure how that is done.

Thanks for the reply[emoji1]

I know that you can click on the iTunes Store icon and scroll to the bottom and log that out. Not sure if all you have already done took care of that. I know people have talked about the previous owners iTunes info requesting log in. That's why I thought of it.

It's possible that you updated it and the information is still on the iPhone. The right procedure to remove the information from your device is to disable Find my iPhone, which you did, and then erasing it (Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings). This will remove all the accounts, your Apple ID, iCloud ID,... from your device.

What happens when you continue from the "Hello" screen? Make sure there really is nothing stored on the iPhone any more, then follow my directions above.

I downloaded 8.4 and DFU restored the firmware. That wipes out any apps and personal data from the phone, and turns its into a factory fresh iOS install.

Aside from the Activation Lock which I turned off Find My iPhone before DFU restoring.

When you say log into my apple account, and see if the phone shows up there, is that with iTunes software OR on apples webpage.

Well, I meant iTunes on the phone but someone knowledgable can tell us if this is necessary or not.