What's new

Going from 4s to 5. iCloud questions

gravybird

Reaction score
I'm on my way to pick up my 5. I'm just wondering if I should keep the same iCloud account with the new phone, or can I start fresh with a new one, but transfer over my paid apps? Or does it even work this way at all. I tend to invent stuff:)

Yes you can start a new iCloud account but there is no advantage to doing so. In fact you would be doing yourself a disservice by creating a new one. Especially if you are using it to backup your current phone. So my suggestion is to move the iCloud account over and continue to get all the benefits it provides.

Will it automatically download all my current apps, contacts, photos, settings?

You bet. That is what makes iCloud so valuable for iDevice users. When you turn on a new iDevice with iOS 5 or greater installed for the first time, it asks you for an iCloud account to sign in to. Once you do iOS takes over and starts restoring each section of your phone. Now this could take a while based on how much stuff you have installed, but it will do every single item so you don't have to worry.

Oops... Ya thanks again. I just backed it up to my most current iCloud backup, and bingo.

Kinda miss taking 3.8 days to get everything just right tho.

Make sure after you setup your new iPhone 5 from backup, and it backs up as well, to delete the backup of your old iPhone from iCloud to get rid of unneeded space on your iCloud. Just go to setting-iCloud-storage & backup-manage storage. It should say "this iPhone" under the backup for the iPhone you're using now. Just click on your old back(should be same name) and delete it.

The night before launch day i did a complete back up of my 4s. It took like 3 hours to back up. On friday morning after i bought my iphone 5 i went home and hooked up to itunes. I tunes installed all my music and apps, ringtones, and so forth. only took a few minutes, once that was done i connected to i cloud for everything else. and that only took a few minutes. 3 hours to back up and only a few minutes to install :) My phone is set up exactly like my 4s was with same background, email, and so forth. The best restore ever on a new phone. I love how easy this was.

After everything was installed from icloud it said not enough storage for backup. I looked and deleted the old phone. Now icloud only sees my new phone and everything is backed up from that.

Which IPhone 5 did you upgrade to, I upgraded from the 4S as well. I don't regret it at all. Don't get me wrong the 4S is a great phone especially with the IOS 6 update, but the bigger screen, A6 chip and 4G LTE was the deciding factor. I am the owner of a 64 GB Black Iphone 5