What's new

iPhone 5 Camera - flash shots over exposed?

jntdroid

Reaction score
I don't see my kids much except in the evenings when it's dark (or almost dark). So I tend to take a relatively good amount of shots that require flash. One of the reasons I switched to the 5 was for the better camera, but my wife's 4S doesn't have this problem at all, nor does my S3 which I still have. When I'm shooting and it includes a face and is within 8 feet or so, the faces are WAY over-exposed, and it seems relatively consistent. Whether I try and do it quickly, or take a second to manually focus or adjust to the lighting, it's pretty bright and honestly frustrating. I've attached an example that will hopefully show it - I had to blur out the face, though - but you should be able to get an idea of what I'm talking about. (edit: attachment removed)

I'm wondering if this is common or not? I've had two 5's that did the same thing.

Last edited:
Mine is the same way. I think it's due to the flash. I try to take pictures in a very well lit room without the flash. Otherwise they turn out too bright or too grainy.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Thanks for the response and sorry for my delayed response! I'm glad to know it appears to be "common". I would think it's either a flash timing or exposure issue, and hopefully a software fix could adjust it. I just don't see many people complaining about it so it probably will never be addressed. :)

Very rarely will I use my camera in darker areas because of that issue.

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

i face the same issue

well o well i too had the same prob. Then i once removed the phone from my case and clicked the photo with flash and it clicked perfectly. With the case on the iphone5 with flash doesnt work well.
Try it out!