What's new

Ebay iPhone 6S

Paul60

Reaction score
Hmm, like an idiot, I was caught up in a 'great deal' on ebay for a 'New' iPhone 6S 16Gb in Rose Pink. Paid $407AUS for it after applying the 10% savings coupon.

It is still in the post & when it turns up, I am inclined to return it unopened for a refund.

One of the reasons is that I only just noticed the sellers ebay listing states NO TOUCH ID.

Why would it have no touch ID ? I thought all iPhone 6s had that feature. ?

Seems many ebay sellers flogging the same phones stating NO TOUCH ID.

The more I delve, the more I am convinced this is a fake or probably refurbished.

Can anyone enlighten me please ?

Ooops, sorry, I meant to post this in the 6S forum.

The no Touch ID is the result of the home button assembly being replaced by an unauthorized service centre. This means that Apple Pay can't be used on this iPhone.
Only Apple and authorized service centres can enable TouchID on a replaced home button assembly.

I'll move your post to the proper forum.

Thanks, I thought as much. Back it goes for a refund and I'll save the extra $$$ and buy a real one. I'm sick of these dodgy idiots on ebay. I should have known better.

Thanks, I thought as much. Back it goes for a refund and I'll save the extra $$$ and buy a real one. I'm sick of these dodgy idiots on ebay. I should have known better.
Apple is expected to announce the new iPhone models at the special event on the 12th. it would be a good idea to hold off buying a new iPhone until after the announcement.

Thanks. I'll do that. I have been using a 4s for over 5 years and it's getting tired. I'd keep it if it was worth getting a new battery. And the top button doesn't work anymore :(

I was wondering how hard or expensive it would be to have the fingerprint ID setup by an Apple tech ? Is it just a firmware/software fix or would it need a new home button ?

If the phone turns out to be a genuine (albeit refurbished 6s), and the only issue being the fingerprint ID, it might save me a lot of hassle and postage costs and waiting on a refund.

Last edited:
I was wondering how hard or expensive it would be to have the fingerprint ID setup by an Apple tech ? Is it just a firmware/software fix or would it need a new home button ?

If the phone turns out to be a genuine (albeit refurbished 6s), and the only issue being the fingerprint ID, it might save me a lot of hassle and postage costs and waiting on a refund.
Unfortunately, since someone other than Apple or an authorized service centre worked on that iPhone, Apple won’t service it.

Reactions: 933
Hey all,

I ended up keeping this phone as it turned out to be fine except for the touch ID not working and returning it for a refund would have been a bigger pain.

I updated it to the new IOS 11 today and it's working great.

I understand Apple won't replace or repair the home button even if I'm happy to pay.

But could another phone repairer fix it, or is that feature now totally kaput ?

It is really bugging me not having the touch ID.

Spoils what otherwise is a great phone. Was sealed in the original Apple box. Like new. Just this darn touch ID issue. :(

Last edited:
Hey all,

I ended up keeping this phone as it turned out to be fine except for the touch ID not working and returning it for a refund would have been a bigger pain.

I updated it to the new IOS 11 today and it's working great.

I understand Apple won't replace or repair the home button even if I'm happy to pay.

But could another phone repairer fix it, or is that feature now totally kaput ?

It is really bugging me not having the touch ID.
Only Apple or an authorized Apple repair service can get the Touch ID working. In your case your have to buy a new iPhone with working Touch ID. It would have been cheaper to get the refund.

I will have to live with it. The seller was a bit of a pain to communicate with, and I needed a phone. It's all fine otherwise.

Saving for the iPhone X now ! :)

PS

The same seller has assured me he has some great deals on the new iPhone X.

Just the facial recognition doesn't work, but cheap as chips and I am first in line :) !

Last edited: