What's new

Daemon write-up. What's your take on this?

I would strongly advise against this. The amount of space/increase of speed(which wont even be noticeable) is not worth the risk of screwing up your device and having to restore.

Well that was kind of my first thought. A too good to be true type deal.

InkedAdrenaline said:
Well that was kind of my first thought. A too good to be true type deal.

Yeah...I actually just removed some launch daemons today.

However I happen to know exactly what I'm doing.

It's easy as long as long as ya follow the list, but delete/edit the wrong one, and you'll have to restore immediately.

In iOS 4, removing launch daemons actually made a decent difference in speed and boot time.

However I did not have the same results on iOS 5. I think my phone boots up like a few seconds faster.

But ultimately it is not really worth it. Not in iOS 5

I think maybe it's because the daemons run Better then they did on iOS 4 so disabling some of them don't really make much of a difference.

I just try every once and a while to see if I notice a difference. I can't really tell now cuz I only disable them an hour or so ago. But I don't think it will make much of a change.

If you notice any difference in battery life or available memory let me know.

I have pretty much downloaded everything I want from cydia now and am on the quest of optimizing my memory and battery life to complete the package.

I don't think my battery life is too bad but I haven't got real stats yet since I keep respringing and losing my usage data. But my real interest in the daemons was the memory. As it seems like I just open a few things and next thing I know I'm down to 60 or less mb of available memory vs 300+mb after respringing.

InkedAdrenaline said:
If you notice any difference in battery life or available memory let me know.

I have pretty much downloaded everything I want from cydia now and am on the quest of optimizing my memory and battery life to complete the package.

I don't think my battery life is too bad but I haven't got real stats yet since I keep respringing and losing my usage data. But my real interest in the daemons was the memory. As it seems like I just open a few things and next thing I know I'm down to 60 or less mb of available memory vs 300+mb after respringing.

You should definitely have more RAM then that.

I'm cases such as yours (where the phone is most likely using more RAM then it normally would) it may actually help to remove some launch daemons.

But really there is only one way to find out.

I recommend you use a USB SSH tool like i-FunBox or iSpirit.

Alway remember to create a folder on your desktop, and save the daemons your delete to that folder. That way, you can always put a daemon back should you experience some adverse effects.

If device for some reason becomes unusable try to use Tiny Umbrella I enter Recovery Mode (not DFU mode) and see if the SSH tool can recognize it allowing you to put launch daemons back.

I recommend you delete the AdminLite launch daemon first. See if that one daemon alone helps your phone. If not then continue on making sure to follow the list.

You should definitely have more RAM then that.

I'm cases such as yours (where the phone is most likely using more RAM then it normally would) it may actually help to remove some launch daemons.

But really there is only one way to find out.

I recommend you use a USB SSH tool like i-FunBox or iSpirit.

Alway remember to create a folder on your desktop, and save the daemons your delete to that folder. That way, you can always put a daemon back should you experience some adverse effects.

If device for some reason becomes unusable try to use Tiny Umbrella I enter Recovery Mode (not DFU mode) and see if the SSH tool can recognize it allowing you to put launch daemons back.

I recommend you delete the AdminLite launch daemon first. See if that one daemon alone helps your phone. If not then continue on making sure to follow the list.

Also what do you think the target number I should be running at for available memory with a few apps open is?

For instance I have 9background apps running now with 62mb free, but even with that my phone doesn't seem to be running slow

I too have removed some of my daemons( keeping a backup in var>mobile) but didn't notice a huge increase in space on root. What did seem to give me about 80mb on root was removing unwanted language packs using something like "sysclean pro". I can't say I noticed any speed difference. I have also thought that 5.01 seems to use up ram more quickly. It's difficult to tell tho as I have Spire instaslled which guzzles ram.

Hungryghost said:
I too have removed some of my daemons( keeping a backup in var>mobile) but didn't notice a huge increase in space on root. What did seem to give me about 80mb on root was removing unwanted language packs using something like "sysclean pro". I can't say I noticed any speed difference. I have also thought that 5.01 seems to use up ram more quickly. It's difficult to tell tho as I have Spire instaslled which guzzles ram.

Yeah I would say its hard to get a compatible accurate reading with Spire installed.

How much RAM difference does that make on an iPhone 4 any way?

If its not a huge difference I will not attempt. I am quite pleased with how my phones running. I honestly can't notice a difference in how the phone functions with 300mb free or 60mb free, but I kept reading online where it should e higher than 60mb.

There are two factors both of which I keep an eye on through SBSettings. Space on /: on 4.2.1 I never paid much attention but with loads of tweaks installed and after using sysclean pro I think it was in high 300s. After upgrading to 5.01 and installing all my tweaks(too many; I have since got rid of a lot as I wasn't using them) it went as low as302. After using sysclean and thinning out tweaks it was up above 400. Now with spire installed its down to 372.
Free ram: on 4.2.1 it would start out high 300s. With a few apps open it would drop to 200s. If I was careless and had loads of stuff open at once for a while it would rarely drop to double figures.
After upgrading to 5.0.1 I immediately noticed it was behaving differently. It seemed to drop much faster and also the reading in SBSettings seemed less reliable, jumping about a lot. I have noticed no difference in phone performance. I suspect a lot of the effect might just be an artefact of SBsettings interacting differently with 5.01. So after a respring as usuasl it would be mid 300s, but with a few apps open it would drop to 150 and it seemed to go down below 100 much easier than it used to.
Now I have Spire running its even worse. The base level seems to be 265 or thereabouts. I rarely see 300. As I say it doesn't seem to affect performance; this is just the number in SBSettings. I've given up worrying about it to be honest!

^^exactly. Mine does the same, never notice a difference in phone performance but everywhere I look online it was saying double digits was too low, so it was making me worry.

RAM is really nothing to worry about. The more RAM being used the better your phone performs.

It's a lost cause to constantly try to keep RAM as high as you can. Especially if your jailbroke.

Fact is, iOS takes care if RAM for you, freeing RAM, and and quitting processes automatically when the device needs RAM.

The time you need to watch your RAM, is when you suspect a memory leak.

I have an iPhone 4, 32GB, 5.0.1......I swipe down SBSettings and right now at this time, I have 65 MB of free RAM. Yup.... Normal number to me....tho is have been doing a lot the last hour. This is when my phone is being heavily used like now. And it's 100% normal.