What's new

Trying to figure out what's taking up 2GB of "Other"

gotmilk0112

Reaction score
So yeah, for a while now, the "Other" part of my iPhone has been taking up almost 2GB of space, and I have no idea what it is.

mQsDK1T.png

EDIT: Solved problem by going to "Usage" in the settings app and then into "Music" and deleting it. Voila, "Other" completely disappeared! Turned device off and turned it back on, then plugged it into iTunes and it re-calibrated the disk space. :)

Last edited:
iMessages, cache from your browser apps, cache from your applications that requires internet access, fragmented downloads and possible downloaded but not yet installed update. These being the more common culprits

The "other" part of your storage also contains the operating system used to run your iPhone. That part of other cannot be deleted.

iMessages
Usage says that iMessage is only taking up 21.7mb

cache from your browser apps
Usage also says Chrome is taking up 11.5mb for "documents and data". Unless that doesn't include cache?

cache from your applications that requires internet access
Hm. I'm not sure which ones to check then. Usage doesn't really list any specific apps as having tons of data usage, and almost all of my apps are under 50mb usage.

fragmented downloads and possible downloaded but not yet installed update.
How would I get rid of these? Would I have to jailbreak and use iFile or something?

The "other" part of your storage also contains the operating system used to run your iPhone. That part of other cannot be deleted.
Well, I'm fairly certain that "Other" was not always taking up 2gb of space.

Cache may or may not be presented in the usage portion of the particular app itself. It may be stored elsewhere.

If jailbreakable, you can choose to backup your device, jailbreak, then run ILEX RAT to completely wipe your device, or, you can use iCleaner to get rid of unnecessary files.

Hm...I would use iCleaner, but it doesn't appear to be compatible with iOS7 yet. Ah well. It can wait.

iCleaner Pro is compatible with iOS 7. The latest public release of iCleaner still works for iOS 7 even though it doesn't say it.

Well, uh...I ran iCleaner and it said it deleted around 175MB of files, but...

Now iTunes is listing "Other" as 2.22 GB.

Wat.

I also used SSH to search the entire filesystem for anything larger than 50MB, and it didn't find anything except a couple core system files.

EDIT: ...Huh. I googled some solutions, and one of them was to delete "Music" in the Usage list, so I did, and...the "Other" completely disappeared. Wow. That was easy!

Last edited: