What's new

Charging question...

XDRoX

Reaction score
I have of two different types of chargers. The iPad 10W charger and the iPhone 5W charger.
In the past I have always used both interchangeably and never had a problem.

Today I picked up an iPhone5. Is it safe to use my 10W charger on my new iPhone5?
And while I'm asking is it also safe to use the 10W charger on my iPad Mini?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It's safe to use any iDevice charger for your iPhone. Your phone will only draw the amount of amperage it needs to properly charge... then trickle as the charge process completes.

Thanks. Will the 10W charger charge it faster than the 5W?

You can use any charger because the phone regualtes the amount of amps it pulls.

hope this is the right place to post this question-just got the 5, so far it must have super battery, i get a day and a 1/2. I've let it drain entirely once already as per some apple advice. I usually let it go to the 20% remaining alert, then recharge it. Does keeping an iPhone on the charger like alot of people seem to do shorted battery capacity/life? What is a charge cycle? every time you plug it in? charging from low power remaining?

hope this is the right place to post this question-just got the 5, so far it must have super battery, i get a day and a 1/2. I've let it drain entirely once already as per some apple advice. I usually let it go to the 20% remaining alert, then recharge it. Does keeping an iPhone on the charger like alot of people seem to do shorted battery capacity/life? What is a charge cycle? every time you plug it in? charging from low power remaining?

Leaving your phone plugged in to the charger will cause no harm. A charge cycle from 0% to 100%.

Barry's remark that he has a super battery because it lasts a day and a half reminds me of a Woody Allen joke, where Woody tells his therapist he isn't looking for sex that often, only three times a week, and Annie Hall tells her therapist that Woody wants it all the time, three times a week. In other words, to me there is nothing exceptional about a day and half. So, just to re-clarify, as I was raised in the prehistoric era when you were never supposed to recharge a lithium battery with more than a 10% left because you would create some kind of bubble that would never go away, you are saying that recharging at any point in the recharge cycle is cool. However, you do not say how may recharge cycles on average an iphone 5 is good for. Also, is there any method of increasing that number of charging cycles?

The battery is supposed to retain 80% capacity after 1,000 full charge cycles.

scifan57; iPhone Forums Moderator

I've charged my iPhone 5 with the 5-watt iPhone 5 charger, the iPad charger, the charger for the Nexus 7, the charger for the Galaxy Nexus, my car's USB port, the high-power ports on my MacBook Pro, and the USB ports on various desktops. They all work fine. The higher-wattage chargers will charge much faster if your charge level is very low.