What's new

Changing SMS bubbles

Ashley91

Reaction score
I can't find a compatible tweak with iOS 6.1 (iphone 5) that will change the bubbles. Is there one available? Or any that adds backgrounds?

A little help would be awesome! (Not interested in using iFile or something complicated to do it. Just a simple cydia tweak.)

Some aren't compatible with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 at the moment unless you mod it yourself

Sent via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Changed mine with winterboard,yellow incoming messages and purple outgoing

All the best
Daz
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can manually mod them by SSHing/rooting into

Method 1

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework/

Change the balloon colors. You can download the png files as well and just stick them in there. The files should be named

Balloon_1.png
Balloon_2.png

Reboot/respring your device and it should be up and ready. Note that this is editing the default bubble colors.

Method 2

If you want to use Winterboard to do this, you'll need to create a new directory under:

/var/stash/ThemesXXXXX/<Folder Name>/Folders/Chatkit.framework/

The X's are different for every device and such, so as long as it says Themes then a bunch of stuff, click on it. Create a new folder, you can call it whatever you want, like SMS Bubbles or SMS Colors or whatever is easier for you to point out in Winterboard. Then once you've created that folder, go into it, and create another folder called "Folders". Then go into "Folders" and create ANOTHER folder called Chatkit.framework. It is case-sensitive IIRC so make sure that you capitalize the C in Chatkit.

So the end result should be "/var/stash/ThemesXXXX/SMS Bubbles/Folders/Chatkit.framework/Balloon_1.png" as an example

Now you'll drag and drop your Balloon_1.png and Balloon_2.png files in there.

Open up Winterboard on your device, select <Folder Name>, respring and check it out. If it doesn't work, you might have to go back into the directory above and add "~iphone" in between the 1 and the .png, and the 2 and the .png, so it would be Balloon_1~iphone.png, and Balloon_2~iphone.png

Last edited:
Thanks Willerz2. I may try this one day when I'm off and feel a lil more confident. That's why I was kinda looking into biteSms. Lol

Where do you find these tweaks.

Cydia
Download winterboard
Download message bubble colours
Open winterboard
Tap on themes
Choose your colour
Happy days

All the best
Daz

Cydia
Download winterboard
Download message bubble colours
Open winterboard
Tap on themes
Choose your colour
Happy days

All the best
Daz

Does this work on os6? And will it work within bitesms?

I am on iOS 6.1 and have had no trouble
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361341301.340246.jpg

All the best
Daz

Cool thanks. But will they work within bitesms or just stock messenger?

Glad this has worked out for you &#128526;

All the best
Daz