What's new

Changing text background/font color

SomeDude

Reaction score
Greetings People,

I have a 3Gs and want to do the following; I would like to change the background color, as well as the colors of the bubble and text in the text message windows. I'm jailbroken, but I can't quite find an APP/Program with instructions on how to do this. Has anyone done this and if so how? I've already effed around with this thing long enough and am beyond frustrated, help?

SD

Hi. While I can't help you with the font color, because I've never done that, I can, however, help with the background color of your text and the bubble colors.

Now, please realize that I have an iPhone 4S - so I hope that the names and file locations are the same. I apologize in advance if they are not. Also, I will only be able to tell you the sizes and such of the wallpaper that I have on my phone, you may have to modify it to fit on your phone. Oh, and this is with iOS 5.0.1.

With all the qualifiers out of the way, I'm going to assume you don't already have a theme. So, you need to make one:

1) Create a folder on your computer and title it whatever you want, but have it ending in .theme (i.e. Example.theme)

2) Place two PNG images in there (this will be for your text background) and have them named

SMSBackground.png (480x480 size)
[email protected] (960x960; though I think this would be for retina devices)

Remember that all file names are case sensitive (apple is not the same as Apple)

3) Inside your Example.theme folder, make another folder titled Bundles. Then, make another folder inside that titled com.apple.chatkit. Your path will then look like this: Example.theme > Bundles > com.apple.chatkit

4) You will put your chat bubbles inside this folder (again, these are for iOS 5). If you don't want to make simple blocks of color, you can do a search of the Internet to find bubbles to modify. The key is that you want them named:

[email protected] (the gray bubble for received messages)
[email protected] (the green bubble for outgoing message)
[email protected] (the blue bubble for iMessages)

NOTE: If you just want to modify the existing bubble, go to this location on your phone (/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Chatkit.framework) and copy those three PNG images for modding on your computer. Then you can keep the same files, but just change the color...

5) Now that you have the theme folder made, put it on your phone (I use iFunbix cause it's easiest). It goes in this location:

/var/stash/Themes/

6) Once the theme is on your phone, go to Winterboard via your Settings app, select it, respring and you should be good to go.

You can also add these images to an existing theme should you wish to not make a separate one.

Hope this helps. Holler if you have questions.

Marilyn

Damn!!! Thank you, finally a step-by-step guide! One question though about the home computer; can this be done on a PC using windows? I don't have a Mac.

Yes. Png is what Apple uses for images.

Damn!!! Thank you, finally a step-by-step guide! One question though about the home computer; can this be done on a PC using windows? I don't have a Mac.

Yes, absolutely! I use a Windows 7 machine with no trouble. To make modifying images very easy, I use the [free!] program called Paint.net. You can download this, again, free, off the Internet.

Then, if you use iFunbox, it's a very simple process to move files back and forth. It's a bit of trial and error after that as you get familiar with new programs, but you'll be an expert in no time.

Again, both programs work fine with a Windows machine.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

Mickey330 said:
Yes, absolutely! I use a Windows 7 machine with no trouble. To make modifying images very easy, I use the [free!] program called Paint.net. You can download this, again, free, off the Internet.

Then, if you use iFunbox, it's a very simple process to move files back and forth. It's a bit of trial and error after that as you get familiar with new programs, but you'll be an expert in no time.

Again, both programs work fine with a Windows machine.

Hope this reassures.

Marilyn

Paint.net is awesome. Gimp is pretty sweet too.

Ok, is that the same as iphonefunbox, or is that something different? Second, I forgot about the color of the keypad as well. After all, I'm trying to do this so that getting a text message at night won't blind me. Having said that, it doesn't make much sense to change the color of the texbackground and do nothing with the keypad color. Nothing fancy, dark background, red letters/numbers. That type of thing.
With regards to what everyone has contributed so far - many thanks, I appreciate the help! Once I get a good working model of this I'll post a pic here.

Cheers,
SD