What's new

Cellular Data in Lockscreen

Ted1Jones

Reaction score
I don't know if this should be an iPhone 5 or iOS question. I notice that when I wake my iPhone 5, the lockscreen status bar shows cellular data ("LTE" or "3G") for about a second before showing the WiFi symbol. Does anyone know if this normal? Hopefully this does not mean that it is using cellular data for any Internet access while the phone is locked.

I don't know if this should be an iPhone 5 or iOS question. I notice that when I wake my iPhone 5, the lockscreen status bar shows cellular data ("LTE" or "3G") for about a second before showing the WiFi symbol. Does anyone know if this normal? Hopefully this does not mean that it is using cellular data for any Internet access while the phone is locked.

When the device is in Standby and there are no active WiFi connections, WiFi is turned off. There are only two conditions where WiFi is on while the screen is off.

1) An iMessage (SMS/MMS) or a notification that requires data such as email.

2) The phone is already on WiFi and the user has a background task, actively pulling data, such as music playing when they put the phone in standby.

Otherwise yes the phone is on cellular only while the phone is asleep.

Isn't there a setting in 'Settings' that allows you to turn off celluar activity when away from a wifi signal?

Yeppers, there sure is. But that was designed for when you are roaming outside of your normal cellular providers coverage area.

I keep my phone in airplane mode when I'm in the house. I turn airplane mode off as I'm walking out the door. I think I've used 5% of my cellular data allowance per month since I bought my phone.