What's new

Can old iPhone backup data on PC be transferred to an Android phone when original iPhone has died?

kittihs

Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies for the long background information and questions.

A friend, who has an IPhone 4, recently broke it and is now unable to recover any data from it or make back ups. In October last year she backed up her phone to her PC.

She has now acquired an Android phone (Samsung) and wants to import the backed up data (her contacts mainly) to this new phone. She is not at all technically minded and has asked me to help. I know nothing about iPhones so am hoping this forum will be able to help :)

As I understand it from a search of Google, in order to produce a backup suitable for transfer to an android phone, the iPhone would normally be connected to the PC and a backup produced using iTunes with android or google contacts or similar option chosen (I have never seen iTunes so not sure of the wording).

The backup that was produced in October was made via iTunes but was a straightforward iPhone backup and no android/google contacts/ conversion type option was selected. Given the age of the phone icloud was never used.

Is there any method of converting or extracting the backup information so it can be made compatible with an Android phone ?

If no, would it work to get an IPhone (eg a no longer used one from somewhere), restore the data to that phone using iTunes, then create a back up on that phone where the android etc option for backup is chosen.

Are there any other options ?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

I don't think it will be possible to extract the data from an iTunes backup and get it to an Android device. You should be able to set up another iPhone using that backup, and then move the data to Android.

This site might be of help:
Apple detox: How to switch from iOS to Android without missing a beat

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. :)

Does the version of the surrogate iPhone I use to restore the backup and then remake the backup for export to google matter ?

ie is the backup data made last October using the iPhone 4 backward and / or forward compatible ?

You can't use an iPhone earlier than the iPhone 4, because the backup won't be compatible. It has to be an iPhone 4 or later, with at least the iOS version installed that was used when making the backup.
Just as an example: you can't use a backup that was made with iOS 9.3.2 installed on a device which can only handle 7.1.2.

You can't use an iPhone earlier than the iPhone 4, because the backup won't be compatible. It has to be an iPhone 4 or later, with at least the iOS version installed that was used when making the backup.
Just as an example: you can't use a backup that was made with iOS 9.3.2 installed on a device which can only handle 7.1.2.
Ok thanks that makes sense. I am hoping to borrow an iPhone so will check iOS and model. Thank you for your help.