What's new

Syncing to iTunes for the first time

xrayeyes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to help a friend sync and back up her iPhone for the first time to iTunes...she has never synced at all to iTunes before. I had her download the current version of iTunes and it "Welcomes" her to iTunes with her new Iphone. However her iPhone4 is a year old and full of data. So, it gives the option of 1.setting up as a new phone (can't remember how it was worded) or 2.restoring from a backup...(which she has of her iPad, but does not want to use). There is no option to back it up from what I saw. (We're working on this over Facetime, which is not the easiest).

If she sets it up as a new phone, what is going to happen? Will she lose data? How can she set up her phone with iTunes for the first time and keep her photos, contacts, notes, etc?

I set mine up on iTunes from the get-go so I don't remember any of this! I did a search, but I must admit not a lengthy one... :D

TIA
Mary

Don't think she'll lose her data wi6h setting up the phone as new. The question is basically asking would you like to restore this device using the last known backup, or would you like to create a new profile for this device.

If you're a bit hesitant, you can use other utilities to manually backup the data first before proceeding in case it does wipe the device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Not the confident answer I was looking for, LOL! I won't be talking to her about it again until next week, so I may get her to send me a screenshot of the opening screen. iTunes simply doesn't make this a very intuitive process!. She is not worried about her contacts or apps, but is more worried about her "notes". I can walk her through saving her pics through the drag and drop. She didn't say what the situation was with her music...

Just did a bit more research and seems I'm not the only one to seek this info. Hope I'm going to give my friend the right advice based on this info.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4094634?start=0&tstart=0

I think her main concern is her notes, so I am going to suggest she email them to herself to save or set up dropbox, unless anyone has better advice! :)