What's new

Apple Maps to Undergo Complete Redesign “From the Ground Up”

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple to completely revamp Apple Maps.jpeg

Apple has today announced that it is in the process of completely rebuilding Apple Maps, writes TechCrunch. The new version has been built using first-party data obtained from iPhones and also from Apple’s own special fleet of cars that have been kitted out with sensors and cameras.

The new maps are set to launch first in San Francisco, then in the Bay Area, via the next iOS 12 Beta, coming to the whole of Northern California by fall.

The updated maps, which will eventually roll out all over the world, will respond more quickly to changes in roads and construction, and will also be more visually detailed, depending on the location, with more detailed ground cover, foliage, pools, pedestrian walkways, and so on.

Four years of work have already gone into the new maps. Apple’s aim is to eventually no longer have to rely on third-party data for its maps, and instead use entirely its own data.

“Since we introduced this 6 years ago – we won’t rehash all the issues we’ve had when we introduced it – we’ve done a huge investment in getting the map up to par,” Apple SVP Eddy Cue told TechCrunch. “When we launched, a lot of it was all about directions and getting to a certain place. Finding the place and getting directions to that place. We’ve done a huge investment of making millions of changes, adding millions of locations, updating the map and changing the map more frequently. All of those things over the past 6 years.

“We wanted to take this to the next level,’ Cue added. “We have been working on trying to create what we hope is going to be the best map app in the world, taking it to the next step. That is building all of our own map data from the ground up.”

Source: Apple is rebuilding Maps from the ground up

I was driving on the freeway near my home last month, in a traffic jam due to an accident. I was riding next to one of those Apple cars. They are labeled and have a bunch of antennas. And the traffic slow down was not showing on my CarPlay. Now I guess I know why that car was there.

Hopefully they add current speed right under or above the speed limit [emoji106]

Apple maps would know what the speed limit on any particular stretch of road would be and by monitoring your speed could tell you if you're going too fast.
Gee, I use the speedometer for that. And I am not sure I want anyone else to have access to that info either.

Apple doesn't (or is that don't) know your speed, your phone, using the GPS, is determining the rate of change of displacement and is able to display that as mph/kph etc. if an app is designed to do so. Using a simple comparison your phone can tell you if you are exceeding a limit - very nice if you miss a speed limit changing sign while traveling. Plus I like numbers I like seeing temperature, speed, altitude, time, humidity etc. as numbers, (though I do so love good analog watches and clocks).

Gee, I use the speedometer for that. And I am not sure I want anyone else to have access to that info either.
Not to belabor the point but I am aware Apple would not have the info. But as someone who has investigated accidents, I am not sure I want an app possibly having info that can infer the info. Just my opinion. And I know what speed limits are legislatively allowed
on what type of road but recognize this is not committed to memory by most drivers

Easy answer is don't use any app you aren't completely comfortable with.

Depending on what year your vehicle was made it most likely has information stored that contains your speed, throttle and brake positions and any other pertinent information that can be downloaded if certain criteria are met. You might think about what you drive as well as any other electronic devices or apps you carry with you.