What's new

Apple is aware of battery life problem on 4s and iphone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough, Skull. There's been no buzz about that aspect that I'd read.. Suffice it to say -- any other 'updates' 'supposedly' focussed on battery life may give slight better battery life -but will be mainly to 'placate'.

Let's be real - this A5 processor is just WAAAY more of a battery hog than Apple expected - but they 'had' to get something to market. I've seen it MANY times with many electronics companies. It is what it is.. But I'm still 'generally' VERY content with my 4S - even though it will 'always' need to be on the charger at the end of every day. That's been my habit thru all iPhones to date -- so nothing really new on my end.Apple's share holders certainly are worrying with you. Stock's down over $40/share last 3 weeks. Even on days when other stocks up - Apple down. The worst POSSIBLE thing that could have happened, timing-wise, was for Steve Jobs to pass on AND a product be released that's been HARDLY 'perfect'.

Well we know what happened to Apple when they ousted him as head of Mac and he left.

You have confused TWO ENTIRELY different posters. The OP states his theory and how he tested it for confirmation. Someone then came alone and said, "OK how do I avoid the bug and then show that the iPhone 4S actually works".

So to help explain what is going on lets start with a level playing field by breaking down only the first post.

it seems that the very cause of battery drainage is a bug in the video card driver , which could be triggered by applications making use of certain iOS APIs.

I found this by looking at the energy consumption graphs extracted from my iPhone 4S and comparing them with other information taken from the device.

Now iOS is a *nix based operating system. Which means it has a video card driver as part of its core components. This driver is in control of a GPU. The key part to this is that the GPU can run code, on its own internally, with NO help or need of the CPUs interaction. That is why they are now called Graphic Processing Units. Since no one has been able to figure out exactly what is going on, this explanation has become the Occam's Razor in a sense. No one could pin down an exact cause because so many apps helped exhibit the bad behavior. That means they must share a common result. The ability to change something that gets stuck and continues to drain the battery.

Now I already stated that I could play games while the phone is at 100% charge and then force the phone to fall below 96% and never be able to recharge 100%. Those games where utilizing the GPU at 100% power. Other have stated they saw this behavior without ever playing a game. The theory he posts explains BOTH conditions flawlessly.

The second poster then asks the obvious question, how do I avoid the GPU at ALL COSTS to see if I can get a battery drain that is better than 1 to 2% per hour. He did it by killing off all code that could possible cause the GPU to keep running code after the fact. His test results show the battery drain is now at 1% per 3 hours. A full 300% increase in battery life. And all he did was AVOID the condition the OP stated was the issue.

As far as I am concerned this looks like the real deal. I have stated MANY times that this was an API issue with a new section of the hardware. It fits and it looks to be reproducible. I figure by next week this result will either be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt or it will lead to the exact root cause. Either way, it was bloody brilliant work.

Last edited:

Someone may have figured out why you are seeing a difference.

While you think you may have done the exact same thing both days, odds are you actually did things in different orders. Those differences in which apps you executed and when may leave the GPU running code in background that eats battery life.

I had the same exact thing happen to me last week. One great day of battery life but every other day was so/so.

I don't believe that is a red herring. This is exactly what I have been predicting since day one. Heck a lot of my posts have mentioned the GPU and a rogue API call.

could this really be the cause ?, are we talking about the 2% per hour drain for the more rapid, getting hot type ?. if ere talking about the rapid hot drain, it does not explain why it happens to some phone and not others running the same apps and settings. if we are talking about the 2% per hour then that's strange as i have done resets with apps shut down etc etc and never really see anything better than 2% per hour

could this really be the cause ?, are we talking about the 2% per hour drain for the more rapid, getting hot type ?. if ere talking about the rapid hot drain, it does not explain why it happens to some phone and not others running the same apps and settings. if we are talking about the 2% per hour then that's strange as i have done resets with apps shut down etc etc and never really see anything better than 2% per hour

Actually it perfectly explains how two people with the SAME exact app load outs will see different results.

It is the exact sequence of HOW you run the apps that causes the issue. The offending app, which I bet there are 100K plus, only has to be run LAST before you put the phone to sleep.

Last edited:
Excuse my noob ignorance. But if I had closed all apps down. Only made phone calls text and did marginal 3G, had all push and location off along with wifi and blue tooth...

Then how can the order matter? All I've used is the phone text and fb. That was on the worse day. Today I used more 3G listened to some tunes and I'm on wifi now, loads more usage and more batt left.

Confused.com

You forgot that phone calls and texts are done with applications. IE they both use the GPU to display data to the screen.

Plus I can't see the numbers on the threads you are talking about on my phone....

I didn't even consider the ipf.net application. Hmmmmm. Will have to dwell on how to reference stuff in the future. Thanks for the heads up on that.

If this cause can be tracked down by one person, then Apple can track it down to the exact source. Which in my book is very good news. That means it is fixable.

Actually it perfectly explains how two people with the SAME exact app load outs will see different results.

It is the exact sequence of HOW you run the apps that causes the issue. The offending app, which I bet there are 100K plus, only has to be run LAST before you put the phone to sleep.

fair point, but how do you explain the in-ability for some people to ever be able to disable the draining effect. my first 4s had rapid drain, i tried everything, closed all apps, soft reset etc etc and it was still draining, evening in flight mode, which i agree would indicate gpu. However nothing i did seemed to stop the draining once it had started

NewdestinyX said:
The point I made though is that you DON'T have to turn off any features of the 4s and you CAN make it through a whole day. All that matters, in the final analysis, at least until the 5 comes out, is whether or not we can get thru an 18hour day with moderate to heavy use and all 4s features turned on. " I " can - and I'm not alone. Most 4s owners can.

So are going to get the iPhone 5?

Reading the posts about battery issues with the 4s I was curious to see if my battery ws in the normal range or not. My previous iphone (the 4) required i charge it everyday so I really dont have a frame of refference to go by. Here is a screen shot of my usage data. Im not sure if thats all I would need to upload for someone to tell me or not

$my 4s usage.jpg

Reading the posts about battery issues with the 4s I was curious to see if my battery ws in the normal range or not. My previous iphone (the 4) required i charge it everyday so I really dont have a frame of refference to go by. Here is a screen shot of my usage data. Im not sure if thats all I would need to upload for someone to tell me or not

View attachment 3580

If my 4s is to be usable all day I would be laughing.

I can hardly have my phone alive for 8-9 hours with moderate to light usage.

Grrrrrrr ...

View attachment 3580
That's great stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.