What's new

Woman dies after answering her still charging iPhone 5

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
$015848-120113china-iphone-4s.jpg

Most of us go about using electronics with complete ease, not once giving a second thought to the potentially deadly energy flowing through them. As it turns out, even the seemingly harmless iPhone can turn into a deadly weapon under certain circumstances.

A 23 year old stewardess working for C​​hina Southern Airline died after being electrocuted by her iPhone 5. At that time, Ma Ailun was charging her smartphone and picked it up to respond to a call when the tragic incident happened. The police have opened an investigation, but so far have confirmed that the woman has died due to electrocution. As expected, Apple has been made aware of the tragedy so the company released a statement:

"We are saddened by this unfortunate accident and our deepest condolence goes to the victim's family. We will conduct a thorough investigation and be fully cooperative."

Other details of the unfortunate event are still unknown, but members of the Ma family have talked to the press or have issued statements via social media. Ma’s sister wrote on Weibo that her sister was struck by a “strong electric current” while trying to answer a call. She also warns people against not making phone calls when their smartphone is charging.

So what exactly did happen here? At the moment we can only speculate, but apparently Ma bought her smartphone from an authorized vendor. More than that, she only had the phone since December 2012. As the investigation proceeds, we’re wondering if the cause of this tragedy will be established.

Source: ZDNet

since hearing this story, i will not answer a phone call while its charging, even if its face time. plus im keeping it a bit further away from me while charging at night now.

That pretty much goes for all electronics. Using the phone puts pressure on your battery, and since you're charging it at the same time, it increases the risk of a mishap because the device is directly connected to an outlet. Always answer the phone unplugged when it comes to cellphone. If anything, ask them to call your landline if you have one or via instant messenger.

Something isn't right about this story.. I am suspicious that there were other circumstances involved. I find it difficult to believe that the iPhone itself electrocuted a person resulting in death. The charging block for an iPhone converts AC to DC before the current ever reaches the cord, doesn't it? And, I have touched the lightning plug with wet fingers before and nothing was felt. Unless the iPhone contains a step-up transformer, or converts DC back to AC, I find it hard to believe that the iPhone was responsible.

This story, as it appears above, is just suspicious to me.

But the current is still running directly into the device. And because there's always moisture in the air, it's not uncommon for electricity to start skipping around since water conducts electricity. It's similar to a power surge. Sure the power surge is supposed to keep your appliances from frying themselves in the case that your blow a fuse, but it's not a guarantee. Same goes for the charging block/adapter

But the current is still running directly into the device. And because there's always moisture in the air, it's not uncommon for electricity to start skipping around since water conducts electricity. It's similar to a power surge. Sure the power surge is supposed to keep your appliances from frying themselves in the case that your blow a fuse, but it's not a guarantee. Same goes for the charging block/adapter

I don't doubt you in the least, your knowledge is way above mine. I just sense that there were after-market modifications made to the iPhone and/or the charging block that resulted in faulty power handling.

The 5 watt charger outputs DC only. To electrocute someone, it only takes about .3 amps across the heart. So the question that has to be asked is: How did she get into a low resistant state with the phone's position and the grounding point being across her heart?

Odds are they will find she had an undiagnosed heart condition, the iPhone and she were wet with a faulty DC charger (either being damaged or a knock-off).

Might've been in the kitchen cooking or cleaning, and picked up the phone with wet hands, which's basically begging to get shocked. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to phones. There was a case a few years ago where this guy had his phone charging on his bedside, and it just exploded on him untouched. Electricity's a dangerous element.