What's new

Wifi issue on 4s

Benny07

Reaction score
For some reason the wifi on my 4s is not connecting as far out as my 3GS. Just tested it again. In the same spot my 3GS has full wifi signal and my 4s is not even making a connection. Any suggestions?

Benny07 said:
For some reason the wifi on my 4s is not connecting as far out as my 3GS. Just tested it again. In the same spot my 3GS has full wifi signal and my 4s is not even making a connection. Any suggestions?

I sort of had a similar issue. But if the 3GS is working then your 4S make need to be looked at by Apple. But are you getting any signal at all? Try unplugging your modem and router for 10 seconds or more. Then power them up again and see if that helps. If your not getting any signal after that, and all your other devices work then the wi-fi chip in the phone isn't working.

I called apple. They told me to go to settings, general, reset, reset network connections. It worked. I get full strength now. My other question is at home my phone shows full wifi strength but then sometimes has no Internet connectivity. I never experienced that on my 3GS but maybe same advice as above will help.

Benny07 said:
I called apple. They told me to go to settings, general, reset, reset network connections. It worked. I get full strength now. My other question is at home my phone shows full wifi strength but then sometimes has no Internet connectivity. I never experienced that on my 3GS but maybe same advice as above will help.

Now that's the problem I had in the past, except it would happen on all my devices.

Maybe you should call Apple again and see what the deal is or go to one of ther retail stores and see if they can correct the issue you are having.

OK, I've done a Google search on my problem and it seems quite a few people on the official apple boards and other places have this issue, but no resolve.

i can connect to my home network, and I'm now a couple of days in using my new iPhone, but the speed had dropped tremendously from the decent speed it was, to the point where my 3g is alot faster, and it has continuously been like this, videos and pages take forever to load on my wi fi.
now I'm hoping that because it's a common issue it has to do with Ios5 and not a hardware issue, as i ordered mines from the website, so i would have to go through mail returns if it was a hardware issue
So has any one found a resolve? i did the network reset and everything and connected again to my home network, experienced a slight jump, but it eventually slowed again..
Help... :-( i really hope it's not a hardware issue, as apple would have to do a fix on the fault and i would have to return it by post to apple, as i got from the website and waited a looong two weeks for it, and now to do it again would be looong again. or can i take my reciept to an apple store and get a swap there??
please help i am really trying to do everything else before i resort to gettng a swap.

kieron121 said:
OK, I've done a Google search on my problem and it seems quite a few people on the official apple boards and other places have this issue, but no resolve.

i can connect to my home network, and I'm now a couple of days in using my new iPhone, but the speed had dropped tremendously from the decent speed it was, to the point where my 3g is alot faster, and it has continuously been like this, videos and pages take forever to load on my wi fi.
now I'm hoping that because it's a common issue it has to do with Ios5 and not a hardware issue, as i ordered mines from the website, so i would have to go through mail returns if it was a hardware issue
So has any one found a resolve? i did the network reset and everything and connected again to my home network, experienced a slight jump, but it eventually slowed again..
Help... :-( i really hope it's not a hardware issue, as apple would have to do a fix on the fault and i would have to return it by post to apple, as i got from the website and waited a looong two weeks for it, and now to do it again would be looong again. or can i take my reciept to an apple store and get a swap there??
please help i am really trying to do everything else before i resort to gettng a swap.

Hate to tell ya, but you need to take it to a Apple Store and let them look at it. Another thing to think about, it could be something on your server providers end. Call them and make sure your connections are solid. Sometimes your service providers network can get congested as well. If you don't want to take it back you'll have to do some troubleshooting, it could be your wi-fi. I had the same thing happen to me. Sometimes it would connect to the wi-fi and others it wouldn't. At the time I didn't have 3G signals so I had to get a microcell. But that had nothing to do with the wi-fi though. I kept resetting my router and modem (on and off reboot). This problem was even prevalent on my iPad and laptop. Also keep in mind that cell phones sort of take a lot of bandwidth. If others at your home are on the Internet as well then that will decrease your download speed. But if all the other devices connected to your home network are work fine and it's just your phone, then something might be wrong with your phone's hardware. It also depends on what kind of wireless router you have too. Do a speed test when no one's using the Internet, early hours in the morning.

Thankfully as of now alll my issues with wifi were solved by reseting network connections.

yea, mines also sped up for a while, but its gone back to how it was.
im not seeing any problems with the phone at all aside from the wifi issue, which if why im holding sending it back. but i might just pop into an apple store. the max speed im getting on the speed test now is about 2.9 down load, and 1.5 upload :-s

kieron121 said:
yea, mines also sped up for a while, but its gone back to how it was.
im not seeing any problems with the phone at all aside from the wifi issue, which if why im holding sending it back. but i might just pop into an apple store. the max speed im getting on the speed test now is about 2.9 down load, and 1.5 upload :-s

What!?! What is your wi-fi connection speeds? Or what is your Internet speeds, mine is 20 mbps. On average I get about 12 to 15 Mbps download max 19.75, upload speeds are average 3 to 6 mbps.
And on 3G 4 to 6 Mbps download, and about 1 close to 2 Mbps upload speeds. The ping is the key which sometime a little to slow normally 70 - 80 ms. This determines how fast your phone connects to the servers.

i'll get back to you about that when i get home, but my 3g results is along the same lines as yours.

On my 3gs, in a 30 minute time period I can watch it switch from wifi/3g several times. Even while standing in the same room as the wifi router. This is even after doing every reboot and reset I can think of or tech support from my service provider suggest. I also have other wifi equipment in the house that don't have this issue.

jedidadof4 said:
On my 3gs, in a 30 minute time period I can watch it switch from wifi/3g several times. Even while standing in the same room as the wifi router. This is even after doing every reboot and reset I can think of or tech support from my service provider suggest. I also have other wifi equipment in the house that don't have this issue.

That shouldn't be happening unless the 3G signal is stronger and it stopped picking up the wi-fi. Hmm.... I never had that happen to me with any phone using wi-fi.