What's new

whatsapp backup problems

mexicano

Reaction score
For the last 2 weeks I've tried doing a manual backup but all it does is say "Preparing"
I have left the whatsapp running over night but still no luck.
I've also tried deleting the app and reinstaling ( and losing all my previous messages) several times but it's still saying Preparing!!
Has anybody else got this problem, and if not, any ideas on how I can fix this?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-0116.PNG
    IMG-0116.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 32
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Your second thread (same problem) has been removed, as it’s way better to keep the discussion of an issue to one thread only. Please keep the conversation to this thread only.

Try the following to solve your problem:
Open WhatsApp, go to Settings - Chats - Chat Backup. Leave the app in the background, don’t force close it.
Now go to the Settings app on your iPhone. Select your name - iCloud - Apps using iCloud - Show All - WhatsApp. Disable the backup. Wait for a few seconds, then turn the feature on again. That done, open WhatsApp and try backing it up.

Hope that helps-

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Your second thread (same problem) has been removed, as it’s way better to keep the discussion of an issue to one thread only. Please keep the conversation to this thread only.

Try the following to solve your problem:
Open WhatsApp, go to Settings - Chats - Chat Backup. Leave the app in the background, don’t force close it.
Now go to the Settings app on your iPhone. Select your name - iCloud - Apps using iCloud - Show All - WhatsApp. Disable the backup. Wait for a few seconds, then turn the feature on again. That done, open WhatsApp and try backing it up.

Hope that helps-
Thanks J.A. for putting me straight.
I have tried your suggestion but still not working.

Next suggestion:
Go to Settings (app) - General - iPhone Storage - select WhatsApp, and tap “Offload App”. Do not delete it. As soon as the app has been removed, tap “Reinstall App”.
Try backing up once more.

Is your iCloud storage low? Maybe that’s the reason for your issue. You can see how much storage space is left in Settings - your name - iCloud.

Done that and I have about 3 GB storage space free :)

My last WhatsApp backup was about 2 GB. In general, I‘d advise leaving twice as much storage free, just to be on the safe side.

I’ve had the same for about a month as well. Tried almost every trick I could find online including factory reset.

But as of yesterday, mine now works, when it wants at least, better than not working.

What I’ve done was to reset all the phones settings, not factory reset, seems to work…. Though not as well before I upgraded my phone.

I've reset to factory and restored as new and also deleted whatsapp icloud backup. It worked for 1 day then it went back to "Preparing"
I've lost all my previous whatsapp messages and contacts except the group contacts so the backup size now is minimal.
I think there is something wrong with whatsapp. I'm using an iphone 7 on ios 15.7.2.
What phone are you using YaLiRo103?
Is this also happening on android phones as well?
Anyhow, as I don't have any messages to backup now I'm not too fussed! :( But it would be nice for the thing to work.