What's new

What's New in iOS 10.2 Beta 1

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
Apple seeded iOS 10.2 beta 1 to developers and public beta testers this week, which some might argue is the most notable update to iOS 10 thus far. Below we will go over the most notable new features in the future mobile firmware update.

Unicode 9.0 Emoji

Everyone love emoji, including Apple, which in iOS 10 gave contextual predictions the ability to swap words with our favorite colorful characters. iOS 10.2 beta 1 adds the latest emoji from Unicode Consortium:

Animals & Nature
  • Butterfly
  • Owl
  • Shark
Food & Drink
  • Avocado
  • Bacon
  • Croissant
  • Pancakes
  • Whiskey glass
Smileys & People
  • Clown face
  • Cowboy hat face
  • Doctor
  • Drooling face
  • Face palm
  • Fox face
  • Firefighter
  • Lawyer
  • Mechanic
  • Person taking a selfie
  • Sideways laughing face
  • Scientist
  • Shaking hands
  • Sneezing face
  • Thumbs down
Wallpapers
It seemed iOS 10 was lacking a few stock wallpapers, which Apple usually adds with every major update. iOS 10.2 beta 1 includes three new wallpapers for us to sport:
iOS-10.2-beta-1-Wallpapers-iPhone-screenshot-002-1024x676.jpg

New Screen Effect in Messages
iOS 10 completely changed the way iPhone users communication within the Messages app. The new new adds a brand new animated effect called "Celebrate" to make messages a bit more exciting.
iOS-10.1-beta-1-Celebrate-Messages-effect-iPHone-screenshot-001-1024x532.jpg
Preserve Camera Settings
It can get pretty annoying when you have the iOS camera set to a certain type of setting and then it randomly goes back to default. A new feature found under Settings>Photos & Camera called Preserve Camera Settings can save which Camera Mode, Photo Filter, or Live Photo to to be enable at launch.

Video App Widget
iOS 10.2 beta 1 give the stock video app its own widget for the Notification Center. The widget will display downloaded movies and TV shows, which can be quickly viewed with a single tap.

Other than a few small tweaks and changes, that's basically all of the major new additions for iOS 10.2 beta 1. We'll update this list as we find more.

I think I will get a lot of use out of the face palm.

I think I will get a lot of use out of the face palm.
The face palm and most of the emoji don't show up in posts made on this forum. I did a test in the notes app and they work there. Here's a screenshot.
IMG_1802.PNG

I was using Safari and it's possible that the forum app or Tapatalk may allow them.

Last edited:
The new wallpapers are not showing up after updating to 10.2 public beta 1 on my 6s plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked but is there any idea when this will be available to everyone?

I haven't looked but is there any idea when this will be available to everyone?

There's no way of knowing for sure but since we're in the beta it will likely be sometime in late December or early January.

There's no way of knowing for sure but since we're in the beta it will likely be sometime in late December or early January.

Thank you! Looking forward to it!