What's new

What iOS goes on if i restore my phone?

I think we are mixing up terms, here.

Restoring from backup will not change the iOS loaded on the phone. All it will do is put the last backup iTunes has onto the phone. This can be done at any time by connecting the phone to iTunes, right clicking on it and selecting "Restore from Backup."

The only thing you cannot do, IIRC, is put a backup from a newer iOS onto a device running an older iOS. For example, putting an iOS 7 backup onto a device running iOS 6; backups are not downward compatible.

However, if you "Restore" the phone, yes, you have to restore to the current iOS. In this case, when you are restoring the iOS, there is an option to "restore from backup" (which is an option offered by iTunes along with "restore as new").

The "restore from backup" process, while tied with the "restore iOS," is separate and can be done at any time without affecting the device iOS.

Marilyn

[Edited for clarification]

Aaaaahh, thank you Marilyn! I think I will do a new backup (encrypted to keep all my passwords) and do the restore from backup this coming weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.