What's new

What can I use my old iPhone 4s for?

You may never know what caused the problem but it's working now and that's the important thing. Thanks for letting us know.

But now this boggles my mind even more. Now that I can download an app on my old phone it end up on my new phone - why? I have one iTunes account but these phone have different ID's I would think.
Go into Settings>iTunes & App Store on your new phone and check to make sure that automatic downloads is turned off for the App Store. It's the common iTunes account that lets you download content onto more than one device, it matters not if those devices have different ID's and passwords.

Great thanks that did it - looks like I might be all set for now with that issue. Now a few more questions. I would assume I need to keep icloud backup off on the old phone. Also is it okay to cleanup and back up the old phone to itunes, will it keep the two phone separate and not mix or replace apps on each ?

You can still use iCloud backup with the old phone, it can backup to iCloud over WiFi. iTunes will not mix up the backups for your two iPhones, it knows which is which and will not confuse them. You can give each phone it's own name so that you, yourself, can tell which backup goes with which iPhone, iTunes can tell the difference even if you give the same name to both iPhones.

I bought a new iPhone 6 and kept my old iPhone 4s as it still works on wifi for listening to Pandora or what ever. So I went in and deleted lots of Apps to clean up the old phone and all is good except..... I see some Apps need updates. It seems there is no way to update the Apps on the old phone it just keeps spinning even when on a good wifi signal. So over time Apps like Pandora will need an update and I will not be able to do it. Is this phone basically going to be useless over time? Any way to download or update Apps on and old phone with no cellular connection?

I updated my old 4s to IOS 9.3.5 and gave it to someone else. They use it as their main phone and love it.