What's new

VZW customer going to Canada, need advice.

loco

Reaction score
ok, im a vzw customer with an iphone 4. im going to be taking a business trip to vancouver canada next month. i am told that where i will be working will have full time wifi access. im also told that if i add international calling to my calling plan that its very expensive. so, i thought that there may be a voip app or something along those lines that will allow me to call home from canada over the internet and avoid the international calling charges.

any advice on how i should handle this, any app i can get to acheive this ?

Skype for voice and whatsapp for texting.
They both use data so you should be good!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

so, with skype, do i just dial home and talk like normal ? or do i have to skype from phone to computer ?

loco said:
so, with skype, do i just dial home and talk like normal ? or do i have to skype from phone to computer ?

Well if the other person has skype it's free, but if your calling a land line you have to pay, but the rates are way cheaper than Verizon's.

thats what i thought. that kind of defeats the purpose. my wife does not have a smart phone, nor a computer with microphone or webcam. i was honestly just hoping for a skype like app or something that would allow me to make telephone calls over the net. like magic jack or something.....

loco said:
thats what i thought. that kind of defeats the purpose. my wife does not have a smart phone, nor a computer with microphone or webcam. i was honestly just hoping for a skype like app or something that would allow me to make telephone calls over the net. like magic jack or something.....

Try this it's completely free for the US and Canada

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nettalk/id397090127?mt=8

Microphones are very cheap, usually less than $10. I have 3 sitting in a desk drawer unused. Or are you saying she doesn't have a computer that would even support one?

loco said:
ok, im a vzw customer with an iphone 4. im going to be taking a business trip to vancouver canada next month. i am told that where i will be working will have full time wifi access. im also told that if i add international calling to my calling plan that its very expensive. so, i thought that there may be a voip app or something along those lines that will allow me to call home from canada over the internet and avoid the international calling charges.

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I know a good app that fits your criteria. Check out a app in the AppStore called Line2

Last edited:
Get a google voice # and use talkatone. It's a terrific app.

Beeray

Hi loco! I can't recommend any apps for this (looks like that's been well attended to anyway)! I can recommend changing your plan for the trip. If you have current pricing (such as one of the Nationwide plans, part of the family of plans that are still offered by Verizon Wireless), you can change to the Nationwide + Canada plan just for the trip. It would eliminate the need to look for WiFi just to make a phone call, and the cost isn't that much higher.

Example: If you have the Nationwide Talk 450, your montly service is $39.99. If you change to the Nationwide + Canada for the trip, your cost would go up to $59.99. There would be no roaming charges because you would extend your current coverage area (the 50 United States) to include Canada. Once you return, you change it back to what you had before you left! There are also options for data plans. You can get more details on rates, coverage and other available services at this site: Calling From Canada

Thanks and have a good and safe trip!

DionM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Microphones are very cheap, usually less than $10. I have 3 sitting in a desk drawer unused. Or are you saying she doesn't have a computer that would even support one?

she has a laptop that will support a microphone. this is another option. thanks.