What's new

Unlock Sprint iPhone 4S Question

Tyler_S

Reaction score
I currently have a Sprint iPhone that is using a Gevey sim to be used on Straight Talk. As a lot of you know the Gevey only works on a certain version of iOS (5.1.1.) I want to go to 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying a GPP. The only issue I'm worried about is that this Sprint iPhone is no longer activated with an account. If I restore it to factory will it lock up? Meaning It will require me to activate it? If so how do I activate it? Or will it simply go to the home screen. This is all I'm really worried about since it no longer has Sprint service. Thanks in advance!

The GPP should come with an activation card that allows you to do so.

You'd use the activation code with the activation SIM. It's basically a SIM that bypasses the activation or simulates activation by entering the correct PIN supplied. It's device specific so if you use it on one phone, you can't reuse it

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Sounds perfect, this will work with Straight Talk? I know a lot of these R-Sims have issues with MMS. It took me a while to get iMessage to work on my iPhone I had to go into iFile and mess with the iMessage activation number so it would activate. Will I have to do the same with this? Thanks again for the help.

The one thing about the GPP is that they're not 100% reliable in terms of strength and such. It depends on your area. I have an R-SIM for when I travel abroad and such. On several occasions, the GPP took either forever to retrieve signal again after coming up from underground, or when there is signal, 9 out of 10 times I'm getting 3 bars in an area known to have 5 bars all around. Nonetheless it'll work for all intensive purposes.

As for the MMS, that's the case for all interposers from my experience. Generally it's just making sure the APN settings are there. I've yet to have an iMessage issue with an interposer so I can't say for sure if iMessages is affected.

That was my main concern with this Gevey, I will admit it does give me issues every now and again but overall it's been fine. The signal strength is almost identical to a regular AT&T iPhone. That's the price you pay for using these I've realized. I think I'm ready to buy one, I've noticed that there seems to be two companies selling them. Do you know of the legit company selling it?

They're all the same. It's just a generic interposer slapped on with a logo and a name. Functionality is the same, product is the same.

Perfect. I just bought one off of eBay. Here's to hoping it goes well. If not I may need your help again haha. Thanks again, I tried posting this on Howard Forums with no dice, it's nice to see quick responses on here. Makes life a lot easier that's for sure.

So I received the GPP. It came with everything, white sim, the tray, the GPP itself and the code. Now I'm just a little confused. I want to jailbreak my iPhone but there isn't a untethered jailbreak for 6.1.3. I'm still currently on ios 5. My question is how do I go about this? Do I restore factory to 6.1.2. Then use my GPP to bypass the activation screen? Then how do I jailbreak it, won't it erase the GPP if I jailbreak it? I guess what I'm trying to achieve here is to get to 6.1.2 with it jailbroken with the GPP. I'm just not sure where to start.

Since we're on the 4S, no. The only iOS you can restore to is iOS 6.1.3, nothing else unless you want to re-restore back to another iOS 5 that you have blobs for.

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

Isn't it possible to download the 6.1.2 firmware and control-click restore on iTunes and restore to 6.1.2?

Isn't it possible to download the 6.1.2 firmware and control-click restore on iTunes and restore to 6.1.2?

No, not with a 4S. The only iOS you can go to is iOS 6.1.3. It's the only version Apple is signing and, even with SHSH blobs, there is no way to put any iOS on a 4S other than the most current. Sorry.

Marilyn

EDIT TO ADD: To remove confusion - you can re-restore the iOS 5 version you have installed (as long as you have blobs for it). However, I don't know if that will help or work for what you are trying to do...

Ah I see.. That's unfortunate. So let's just say I'll go to 6.1.3. How would I go about it.. Restore to factory settings then use GPP? The only thing my concern about is the activation of the iPhone. Since its a Sprint iPhone should I put my original Sprint sim in? I do still have it. I know it's only for international use.

You can first activate it with your Sprint SIM then setup the GPP.