What's new

Transferring contacts from 3G to 4S

ad2020

Reaction score
I have had the iPhone 3G (not 3GS) for ~3 years and have been syncing it with my old PC, and I just got the new iPhone 4S. I have a new iMac and want to manage everything from there. Ideally, I want to transfer everything from my 3G to 4S, including apps, texts, notes, pictures I took using the 3G, and, most importantly, contacts, but I will settle for copying the contacts only!

I've tried syncing address book contents using iTunes (and using the merge function), but no contacts end up in my address book on the iMac. Currently, my 3G is still running fine and I haven't set up the 4S at all yet.

Is there any way at all to circumvent iTunes to get all the contacts on my 4S? Either using the PC laptop to sync contacts only (I didn't want to do the whole set-up on this laptop, though), using Google contacts, or some other method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

When you sync via iTunes... it creates a back-up file of everything you have on your phone. So, to merge everything you had on the 3G to the 4S you'll need to use the same computer your were using for the 3G. Connect your 4S and restore it... but w/ the back-up file from your 3G.

When you sync via iTunes... it creates a back-up file of everything you have on your phone. So, to merge everything you had on the 3G to the 4S you'll need to use the same computer your were using for the 3G. Connect your 4S and restore it... but w/ the back-up file from your 3G.

Thanks - I was hesitant to do that because I ultimately want to sync everything using my iMac - will there be any issues changing over to the iMac if I initially sync the 4S with my old PC?

Thanks again.

Andrew

ad2020 said:
Thanks - I was hesitant to do that because I ultimately want to sync everything using my iMac - will there be any issues changing over to the iMac if I initially sync the 4S with my old PC?

Thanks again.

Andrew

Nope... just make sure you have iTunes up to date w/ your info on your iMac.