What's new

Transfering iTunes to a new PC

Bobik

Reaction score
Say I have a few back ups on my iTunes. What if I want to use itunes on a different PC, is there a way to keep my old backups????

This article may help. I believe it will move everything to a new drive or pc.

Poco, a quick, dumbnut question about iTunes: if I make a "backup" of my iPhone when I hook it up to iTunes, and if I screw things up within iTunes by synching incorrectly, etc., etc., can I always get my apps, contacts, MP-3s, wi-fi settings, and other personal data back by using my "backup" to restore the phone??? Please understand what I'm asking. My iPhone has some incredible stuff on it, and I KNOW that when I hook up to iTunes to synch music off my PC to it, iTunes will destroy my life. Will my "backup" save me? Thanks dude!

This article may help. I believe it will move everything to a new drive or pc.

Poco, a quick, dumbnut question about iTunes: if I make a "backup" of my iPhone when I hook it up to iTunes, and if I screw things up within iTunes by synching incorrectly, etc., etc., can I always get my apps, contacts, MP-3s, wi-fi settings, and other personal data back by using my "backup" to restore the phone??? Please understand what I'm asking. My iPhone has some incredible stuff on it, and I KNOW that when I hook up to iTunes to synch music off my PC to it, iTunes will destroy my life. Will my "backup" save me? Thanks dude!

If I remember right, when you move it to another computer, you are just copying everything, not erasing it from the old computer, just copying, so the old computer will be your backup. As far as the iPhone goes, if you have made a recent backup, you "should" be able to restore if necessary and have everything back the way it was, when you last backed it up. Worst case scenario, make sure that you have your contacts saved somewhere else (outlook,windows mail...), apps can always be re-downloaded from the apps store (paid for apps at no charge), mp3's should be OK as they will still be on the old computer/drive. Now, personal data should be ok, however I would try maybe "DropBox" and copy all the personal info into DropBox for safe keeping. I like iTunes and have had only some minor problems, however, I don't trust any software to be 100%, especially when it's as complex as iTunes. Best thing to do is buy an external hard drive and get a free backup/clone program and back everything up to it before you start. Todo by Easeus will make a clone/backup of your disk to an external HD, and you can even boot from it.

Thanks poco... for the words. Just needed to confirm what I already suspected. The reason for my paranoia is because one time, months ago, when I "synched" something in iTunes, I lost all my contacts and apps in the iPhone4. My wonderment is HOW IN HELL can much/most data be lost from the iPhone when we simply "Synch" something with a PC!!! This is an Apple thing, I guess and I'm a Windows type for 25 years now.

Thanks again.