What's new

The Instagram Update we've all been Waiting For

DrumsOfGrohl

Staff member
Reaction score
InstagramAccounts.png

Finally, after rumors and slow roll outs, Instagram has released an update to its popular iOS app that lets users easily switch between accounts. The app now supports up to 5 different accounts as of version 7.15 of the Instagram app.

Previously, the only way to use separate accounts was to log out of the current account, type the Instagram handle and password for a second account, and then log back in. This was very tedious, especially when you just want to make one comment and you're logged into the wrong account.

To start taking advantage of this new functionality, go to the options page and select "add account" at the bottom. After this is done, switch between accounts by selecting the username at the top of the screen and you'll see the other username you can select.

Notifications will be different in this update as well. According to Instagram, notifications "depends on when you last logged in and the number of devices that are logged in to an account." 9TO5MAC suggests this could "indicate that users won't receive all push notifications for all accounts, which may help" conserve battery life.

Here's more information directly from the Instagram Help page: Add and Switch Between Multiple Accounts | Instagram Help Center

I just updated to the latest version, and its pretty cool. Super easy to use, but there's one thing I don't like about it, and its the notifications. They're just ugly.
The notification format is [username]: johnsmith liked your photo.
I get that they do this so that they can differentiate which account of yours is getting the like, but the brackets [] look so techy, and non-instagram like. I'm fully aware that my complaints are so trivial, but I thought I'd share them anyway.

Have any of you started using this yet? What are your thoughts?