What's new

Syncing but not Syncing!

NeilGlos

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a problem syncing tracks from iTunes on my laptop to my iPhone.

All of my tracks are stored on my hard drive and the sync appears to work correctly and all tracks can be seen on the iPhone - the number of tracks on the phone agree to the number of tracks in iTunes. However, for some apparent reason many tracks are not actually transferring to the iPhone. When I play them whilst connected to wi-fi or a 3g/4g network all is fine, but if I'm not connected some tracks don't show and if they are part way through will stop playing if I loose wi-fi or cellular connection. The tracks in question have the cloud-with-down-arrow symbol, even though some of them have never been purchased through iTunes and were ripped from a CD - some aren't even available through iTunes! The phone is only 55% full in terms of memory and this is a recent issue. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to ID which tracks are literally stored on the iPhone and which are "in the cloud", the only way I find out is if I try to play them and the phone isn't connected to wi-fi or a cellular network. There also doesn't seem to be any logic to which tracks are stored on the phone and those that aren't.

It has been suggested I do a back-up and restore, but I have had big problems with data loss in the past and I feel the issue could just raise it's ugly head again! All I want to do is ensure my music is actually on my phone.

Any advice much appreciated

Last edited:
If iCloud Music Library is enabled on your iPhone in Settings - Music, disable it and try syncing again.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I checked this setting but it seems it's a setting that would apply if I had joined Apple Music, which I haven't.

iCloud Music Library works without Apple Music as well.

Did you subscribe to iTunes Match?

Hi

I'm not subscribed to iTunes Match, I can't see an iCloud Music Library setting...

If possible, remove the music from your device: in Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage - Storage - Manage Storage - Music. Tap "Edit" there at the top right. Next to "All Songs", there should appear a red minus sign. Tap it to remove all the songs from your iPhone.

Then try syncing your music to your iDevice again.

Hi

I tried to delete all music as suggested, it appears to have worked but when I go into the Music app, everything is still there stored in the cloud!!! Is there anyway to stop iTunes/music app working in the cloud like this?

Edit:it's not everything, just purchased tunes. Also, now when I connect my iPhone to iTunes, several tracks show "greyed out" and they won't delete.

Last edited: