What's new

Straight Talk For iPhone Guide - Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data - $45 a Month!

You would news a Straight Talk SIM card. Why get a T-Mobile SIM when you are trying to run on ST?

Plus ...I thought ST was US only?

The data configurations would be the same tho.

Well, it's a UK phone that has been on Orange. The phone will now be in the US. I'm told Orange is T-Mobile in the US. Straight Talk offers either AT&T SIMs or T-Mobile SIMs, so I think I need the T-Mobile SIM since T-Mobile is Orange in the UK, and this UK phone has always been on the Orange network.

Hope that makes sense. :) I'll probably be jailbreaking it anyway, which I think lets me unlock it? So maybe it doesn't matter anyway. But on the Straight Talk site when you order a SIM, they're very clear about there being AT&T SIMs and T-Mobile SIMs, depending upon which network the phone you're putting the SIM into is from.

I think whatever road you take to get there, it still uses the same towers. I have an iPhone 4S locked to AT&T and will be using the AT&T Straight Talk SIM in it. My fiancee's UK Orange/T-Mobile 3GS, with the T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM, should still be using the same Straight Talk AT&T towers as my phone.

At least, I think this is all correct, so I hope that someone can correct me if I'm wrong and tell me how to do it! :) For her 3GS to work with the AT&T SIM, I think it would need to be locked AT&T. But, again, maybe it won't matter since I'll probably be jailbreaking it anyway to get her MMS working (and therefore unlocking so it works on any network?)

Jesse_Dylan said:
Well, it's a UK phone that has been on Orange. The phone will now be in the US. I'm told Orange is T-Mobile in the US. Straight Talk offers either AT&T SIMs or T-Mobile SIMs, so I think I need the T-Mobile SIM since T-Mobile is Orange in the UK, and this UK phone has always been on the Orange network.

Hope that makes sense. :) I'll probably be jailbreaking it anyway, which I think lets me unlock it? So maybe it doesn't matter anyway. But on the Straight Talk site when you order a SIM, they're very clear about there being AT&T SIMs and T-Mobile SIMs, depending upon which network the phone you're putting the SIM into is from.

I think whatever road you take to get there, it still uses the same towers. I have an iPhone 4S locked to AT&T and will be using the AT&T Straight Talk SIM in it. My fiancee's UK Orange/T-Mobile 3GS, with the T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM, should still be using the same Straight Talk AT&T towers as my phone.

At least, I think this is all correct, so I hope that someone can correct me if I'm wrong and tell me how to do it! :) For her 3GS to work with the AT&T SIM, I think it would need to be locked AT&T. But, again, maybe it won't matter since I'll probably be jailbreaking it anyway to get her MMS working (and therefore unlocking so it works on any network?)

Okay, okay...that makes sense.

Well I would get to the bottom of the T-Mobile/Orange things. Don't know about that.

As for unlocking....using Straight Talk does not require an unlock.

So it doesn't matter whether we get the AT&T SIM or the T-Mobile SIM from Straight talk? :/

I did check, and on an Orange UK site, it said T-Mobile SIM cards won't work in Orange phones. But I'm pretty sure if it didn't, and I jailbroke her phone, it would, and if not, then I could also unlock it and it would work?

So it doesn't matter whether we get the AT&T SIM or the T-Mobile SIM from Straight talk? :/

I did check, and on an Orange UK site, it said T-Mobile SIM cards won't work in Orange phones. But I'm pretty sure if it didn't, and I jailbroke her phone, it would, and if not, then I could also unlock it and it would work?

If you have an iPhone, definitely get the AT&T Sim. Otherwise you'll be stuck on 2G data. Orange used the same frequencies as AT&T.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

If you have an iPhone, definitely get the AT&T Sim. Otherwise you'll be stuck on 2G data.

Okay. So even this is an Orange phone, at the AT&T SIM card? The Straight Talk T-Mobile SIMs don't use the same towers as the Straight Talk AT&T SIMs apparently? It sounds like the T-Mobile one might not work in her Orange phone anyway, so I guess the best thing to do is get the AT&T SIM, jailbreak and unlock that sucker.

Am I on the right track now, I hope? :) Very glad I posted, or I would have gotten a T-Mobile SIM which might not have even worked out of the box and might have got her stuck with T-Mobile towers (which probably suck in this area, but we have good AT&T coverage).

Thanks guys :)

Jesse_Dylan said:
Okay. So even this is an Orange phone, at the AT&T SIM card? The Straight Talk T-Mobile SIMs don't use the same towers as the Straight Talk AT&T SIMs apparently? It sounds like the T-Mobile one might not work in her Orange phone anyway, so I guess the best thing to do is get the AT&T SIM, jailbreak and unlock that sucker.

Am I on the right track now, I hope? :) Very glad I posted, or I would have gotten a T-Mobile SIM which might not have even worked out of the box and might have got her stuck with T-Mobile towers (which probably suck in this area, but we have good AT&T coverage).

Thanks guys :)

Contact Straight Talk and ask them.

If the phone was locked to a T-Mobile network...then you would need the T-Mobile SIM ..I think.

Contact ST and ask. That is your best shot at answers I think.

Good idea! I'll give that a go. I don't think our T-Mobile service is great here, though, but our AT&T is. Hopefully it uses the same towers either way.

Okay, here's the answer from their customer support:

"Dear Jesse,Thank you for showing interest with Straight Talk Wireless as your service provider. If you have the best AT&T coverage in your area, then you need to purchase an AT&T Micro SIM card for your iPhone 3GS. Also, the T-Mobile SIM card is not available yet on our website. The two simcards run on two different towers. The AT&T SIM is powered by an AT&T tower so goes with the T-Mobile SIM card. Nevertheless, both SIM cards use the Straight Talk service.
If you have further questions, please email us again.
Respectfully,
Patricia
Straight Talk Wireless"

So I definitely need the AT&T one, as the two SIMs do cause the phone to run on different networks. My fiancee (the owner of the Orange iPhone 3G) thinks her phone might actually have already been unlocked officially through Orange, though, so in that case, it doesn't even matter which SIM we stick in, and the AT&T would work just fine. If we find she was wrong and it's not unlocked, I'll just have to figure out how to jailbreak and unlock it so the AT&T SIM will work. :)

You might not have to unlock it to use it with an AT&T. Can you borrow an AT&T Sim from someone to test it with? Also, if you call AT&T they will unlock it for you.

Straight Talk towers:

The AT&T ST Sim runs on AT&T's towers, the T-Mobile ST Sim runs on T-Mobile's towers. If you get the T-Mobile Sim, the iPhone will only run on the slow 2G network, so definitely get the AT&T Sim.

Last edited:
Will AT&T unlock a phone that wasn't originally on their plan? Wouldn't we have to have Orange unlock it? It would be great if AT&T would though.

I don't know anybody else around here with an AT&T Straight Talk SIM, or an AT&T SIM either... I'll have one (AT&T/Straight Talk), but mine will be a micro-SIM since I'm on an iPhone 4S.

I'll just have to spend the $15 (if not $60) and try it, and if it doesn't work and her phone isn't unlocked, then we might be out the money until there is a method available to unlock her phone. (I think there was some kind of SAM method to unlock jailbroken phones, but apparently that does not work anymore?)

Jesse_Dylan said:
Will AT&T unlock a phone that wasn't originally on their plan? Wouldn't we have to have Orange unlock it? It would be great if AT&T would though.

I don't know anybody else around here with an AT&T Straight Talk SIM, or an AT&T SIM either... I'll have one (AT&T/Straight Talk), but mine will be a micro-SIM since I'm on an iPhone 4S.

I'll just have to spend the $15 (if not $60) and try it, and if it doesn't work and her phone isn't unlocked, then we might be out the money until there is a method available to unlock her phone. (I think there was some kind of SAM method to unlock jailbroken phones, but apparently that does not work anymore?)

That is correct. SAM does not work anymore.

People that used SAM when it did work, could still unlock if they sags the lockdown folder...bit that is irrelevant to your situation.

I'd imagine a new unlock solution should be around the corner though? Hopefully hers is already unlocked and we won't even have to worry about it.

Info for those who intend on purchasing an iPhone 5 and want to use Straight Talk. I asked them if they are going to have nano sims for the new phone, here is their reply:

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are responding
to your recent inquiry.

We understand that you are inquiring if Straight Talk Wireless will
offer a nano SIM card.

Our customers are of great value to us. We regret to inform you that as
of the moment, we do not offer a nano SIM card. However, be assured that
we would continue to improve and expand our products and services for
the convenience of our customers.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our
customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience,
our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM
EST.

Thank you for being a Straight Talk Wireless customer. We appreciate
your business.

Sincerely,

Straight Talk Wireless

Not very convincing, are they. :/

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Thank you for the info 5er driver!! I was actually wondering this myself... but hadn't gone to the extent of contacting ST.