What's new

Straight Talk For iPhone Guide - Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data - $45 a Month!

Arch_l33t said:
Lol not really sure how doing either would enable MMS as I'm new to these forums.. I'm an android vet and to access APN settings normally I'd just use a dialer code or something to that effect. I'll have to research those options you mentioned. $45 a month is too little to turn away..

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. What Skull One said.

Android allows users to change things...all kinds of things...which is the reason why iOS is more stable then Android.

iOS makes everything native...and allows limited customization.

You must jailbreak and install a tweak called TetherMe. Once TetherMe is installed it allows editing of the APN settings.

That short answer is, Android exposes the APN settings and iOS doesn't. But since iOS has to reboot, there is a file on disk that has to be read. iBackupBot allows you to edit that file and once you do the full restore, the new settings are read on the reboot.

If there is was a thanks button I would use it!

Yep. What Skull One said.

Android allows users to change things...all kinds of things...which is the reason why iOS is more stable then Android.

iOS makes everything native...and allows limited customization.

You must jailbreak and install a tweak called TetherMe. Once TetherMe is installed it allows editing of the APN settings.

And I would thank you as well. It's a bit strange to me that settings like these aren't readily available to those who would be advanced users without Jailbreak. Guess I'm going to have research jailbreaking methods.

As an out of the way question, so what you're saying that if I don't jailbreak, then the phone won't keep its APN settings on reboot if I use the other method you had said that didn't require jailbreak to function?

And another question, how exactly does enabling someone who knows what they're looking for and doing, by way of an obscure dialer code, make android any less reliable than iOS in this regard?

If there is was a thanks button I would use it!

You are very kind.

And for future reference there technically is one. But you have to be on the website from a browser to use it. It is the "Like" feature that is at the bottom right of all posts. Unfortunately Tapatalk doesn't support it.

Arch_l33t said:
And I would thank you as well. It's a bit strange to me that settings like these aren't readily available to those who would be advanced users without Jailbreak. Guess I'm going to have research jailbreaking methods.

As an out of the way question, so what you're saying that if I don't jailbreak, then the phone won't keep its APN settings on reboot if I use the other method you had said that didn't require jailbreak to function?

And another question, how exactly does enabling someone who knows what they're looking for and doing, by way of an obscure dialer code, make android any less reliable than iOS in this regard?

It doesn't make Android less reliable then iOS in "that" regard.

The thing is...is if you want a widget that toggles off wifi/bluetooth/data or whatever on Andorid.,..the. You open the store find it and install it.

Ya see...Android allows basically any application to change core configurations....they can tie into the core function of the phone and operate...go this reason having too may apps like that installed can really big down the phone and make it lag.

With iOS...it's AppStore does not allow any application to just go in and modify core functions and just do whatever. Apple does not allow this. Basically...iOS is more stable because as a post I read earlier put it....iOS functions are 100% native...that means that cannot be changed...removed, etc.

You but and iPhone all you can Sonia install standalone applications that could not possibly mess anything up because Apple does not allow AppStore apps to tie into core functionality...changing and modifying things. That one simple factor makes iOS generally more stable then Android.

iPhone's functions are 100% native...Android functions are partially native.

The more you can mess with something the greater chance it has to get less stable.

It doesn't make Android less reliable then iOS in "that" regard.

The thing is...is if you want a widget that toggles off wifi/bluetooth/data or whatever on Andorid.,..the. You open the store find it and install it.

Ya see...Android allows basically any application to change core configurations....they can tie into the core function of the phone and operate...go this reason having too may apps like that installed can really big down the phone and make it lag.

With iOS...it's AppStore does not allow any application to just go in and modify core functions and just do whatever. Apple does not allow this. Basically...iOS is more stable because as a post I read earlier put it....iOS functions are 100% native...that means that cannot be changed...removed, etc.

You but and iPhone all you can Sonia install standalone applications that could not possibly mess anything up because Apple does not allow AppStore apps to tie into core functionality...changing and modifying things. That one simple factor makes iOS generally more stable then Android.

iPhone's functions are 100% native...Android functions are partially native.

The more you can mess with something the greater chance it has to get less stable.

Ah I gotcha. That makes sense! Thanks for answering for me. To my other question, does the non jailbreak method of changing the APN stick after reboots? The reason I ask is because I don't have a PC to jailbreak with. I've been using smartphones as PC replacements for a long time.

Arch_l33t said:
Ah I gotcha. That makes sense! Thanks for answering for me. To my other question, does the non jailbreak method of changing the APN stick after reboots? The reason I ask is because I don't have a PC to jailbreak with. I've been using smartphones as PC replacements for a long time.

Of coarse.

Man would that be a hassle if it didn't.lol.

Anything applied with iBackupBot stays there until you restore your phone fully again...and only I'd you restore and setup as new will it. It be there.

But if you just restored from backup..it would still be there.

Of coarse.

Man would that be a hassle if it didn't.lol.

Anything applied with iBackupBot stays there until you restore your phone fully again...and only I'd you restore and setup as new will it. It be there.

But if you just restored from backup..it would still be there.

Good to know man. Thanks for everything.

Arch_l33t said:
So your MMS works fine? I ask because I've heard from some that they weren't able to make it work :-\

I have the 4S. I used the SIM swap trick. Worked great. MMS works well. However, SIM swap only works with the 4S.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

I have the 4S. I used the SIM swap trick. Worked great. MMS works well. However, SIM swap only works with the 4S.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Sim swap.. Something else to look up lol thanks for letting me know!

I'm new to all this n don't really understand, I have a iPhone 4 thru AT&T unlocked by a Gevey sim with tmobile as my carrier now, I can't update my firmware from 04.10.01 or Gevey won't work so I want to switch to straight talk, can I update my firmware using them??

hi everyone! i'm new to the forums. anyway, i have my iphone 4 running on straight talk. it's on 5.1.1 jailbroke with absinthe 2.0.2 my question is: do i have to worry about shsh blobs and firmware upgrades? everything (including data & mms works correctly) currently. thanks.

scodan said:
hi everyone! i'm new to the forums. anyway, i have my iphone 4 running on straight talk. it's on 5.1.1 jailbroke with absinthe 2.0.2 my question is: do i have to worry about shsh blobs and firmware upgrades? everything (including data & mms works correctly) currently. thanks.

Every jailbreaker should worry about SHSH. Blobs.

Always Download Tiny Umbrella, and run with your device plugged in and selected.

No need to worry about updates. 5.1.1 is the latest iOS version. When 5.1.2 comes....simple...just don't update til the jailbreak is released.

Every jailbreaker should worry about SHSH. Blobs.

Always Download Tiny Umbrella, and run with your device plugged in and selected.

No need to worry about updates. 5.1.1 is the latest iOS version. When 5.1.2 comes....simple...just don't update til the jailbreak is released.

ok. cool. i have tiny umbrella and have saved my blobs. i've even went as far as to stitch them using the latest redsn0w & now have a restore of my 5.1 ipsw just in case. why in the hell doesnt apple just leave us alone & allow us to do stuff with OUR devices that we bought?

but do I have to jailbreak in order to switch to straight talk on my iPhone 4 (at&t) I have no clue how to jailbreak I never get it right or mis-understand what to do