What's new

Straight Talk For iPhone Guide - Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data - $45 a Month!

My friend literally sweared to god saying upgrading to ios 5.1 made his iphone load youtube times faster, I guess it is just coincidental or the mind effect then.

Either way it will be way faster than edge, I will make my change as soon as my tmo contract ends, thanks for the info.!
is he running straight talk? They only offer 3G so it might be in his head (not sounding ignorant)

He is on att. He compared his 4s on 5.1 to his co workers 4s on 5.01, loading the same youtube video was alot faster, both are on att. That's what he told me at least, I haven't seen it in person.

He is on att. He compared his 4s on 5.1 to his co workers 4s on 5.01, loading the same youtube video was alot faster, both are on att. That's what he told me at least, I haven't seen it in person.
oh yea well the 4s on ATT will have faster speeds. I thought you meant on Straight Talk

maka, you've helped me out! Does Straight Talk have "walk-in" locations ? i'm in the greater LA area (los angeles, california ). Right now i have a little $40 Simple Mobile plan on a old-skool Motorola W490 flip-phone. I wanted to get an unlocked, GSM 3G iPhone used off of Craigslist for around $180, and then get the $60 Simple Mobile plan. But you'd recommend Straight Talk instead right? I need to be able to go into a Store though, and have someone help me. If Straight Talk is an entirely do-it-yourself over the Internet type-of-thing, then i can't do it. I'm too uneducated on all this stuff!

maka, you've helped me out! Does Straight Talk have "walk-in" locations ? i'm in the greater LA area (los angeles, california ). Right now i have a little $40 Simple Mobile plan on a old-skool Motorola W490 flip-phone. I wanted to get an unlocked, GSM 3G iPhone used off of Craigslist for around $180, and then get the $60 Simple Mobile plan. But you'd recommend Straight Talk instead right? I need to be able to go into a Store though, and have someone help me. If Straight Talk is an entirely do-it-yourself over the Internet type-of-thing, then i can't do it. I'm too uneducated on all this stuff!

Straight Talk doesn't have any retail locations, it's sim cards are entirely web based. That said, it's not that difficult to setup the sim card. It could be a great learning experience.

Also, $180 for an iPhone 3G is a rip off. A 3G iPhone is worth maybe $100.

I've been with ST on my Apple factory unlocked iPhone 4S for couple of weeks now. So far, so good. The so-called "unlimited" data is relatively easy for me to deal with, because I'm mostly in a strong AT&T- EDGE area (there's a tower 2 miles from my house on the hill above our town), mostly on Wi-Fi at home and at work, although I do visit a 3G/4G area one hour south once every week or two. The speeds are consistent with what I was getting with AT&T on contract (I was with them for less than one month before going unlocked and MVNO). As for AT&T 3G, well, it's definitely way better than the so-called 3G that I experienced with Sprint near the end of 12 years with them. That's nothing to speak of 4G, which – albeit not stellar like AT&T in some metropolitan areas –is awesome. I think, in total, I probably average around 1.5 to 2 GB every couple of months. The unlimited calling, texting, and MMS is pretty nice. At $45 per month, with no contract, no deposits, and no credit checks, what's not to like? At this rate, I'm saving about 50% off of my original bill. I couldn't be happier.

For those that are interested in going with ST using a smart phone, my best advice is to use commonsense, don't go crazy with the data and use Wi-Fi whenever possible.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Last edited:
Does one have to switch their phone manually if one is in a Wi-Fi area?
My only problem i've seen with ST is that I can't get on the internet, use GPS, etc while on the phone. Is this a ST thing?
I'm using an iPhone 4, btw, if that helps.

Last edited:
Same phOne as you and don't have that problem. I can get emails and texts and all while on the phone

Got my #'s ported over yesterday & I still can't get connected to the internet unless it's via Wi-Fi.
One of my 2 iPhones is jailbroken, the other isn't (on 5.1 & I don't want a tethered jailbreak).
The one that is jailbroken has had TetherMe installed & the MMS Proxy changed in the APN settings profile to 66.209.11.33 :80. Is that the way it's supposed to be entered?

Hey all, I had a problem with the above instructions.. using the unlockit.co.nz using the Straight Talk profile and the AT&T MVNO profile.. Anyway, maybe just a re-provision would have helped, but i went and done the whole lot, in that i deleted all the profiles that didn't work, and installed the following. Hope this helps someone else out.

Following this guys instructions, (after deleting all the APN profiles that wern't working) I went to goo.gl/dIh0q That's / lowercsae d, Uppercase i, lowercase h, zero, lowercase Q. Installed his profile, then called Straight Talk on 1-855-222-2355 and just asked them to re-provision the phone... If the person on the other end of the phone, doesn't know what you're talking out.. Don't waste your time.. Hang up and try again. Its the luck of the draw on who you get. I got a complete idiot on my first attempt.. Called straight back and a woman, sorted me out within 30secs.

Data is working a treat now.. :)

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my #'s ported over yesterday & I still can't get connected to the internet unless it's via Wi-Fi.
One of my 2 iPhones is jailbroken, the other isn't (on 5.1 & I don't want a tethered jailbreak).
The one that is jailbroken has had TetherMe installed & the MMS Proxy changed in the APN settings profile to 66.209.11.33 :80. Is that the way it's supposed to be entered?

The most important setting is the one labeled apn. Make sure it's set to, att.mvno . If data still doesn't work, call Straight Talk and they will fix your line. Just tell them the internet doesn't work.

Does one have to switch their phone manually if one is in a Wi-Fi area?
My only problem i've seen with ST is that I can't get on the internet, use GPS, etc while on the phone. Is this a ST thing?
I'm using an iPhone 4, btw, if that helps.

AT&T(Straight Talk) throttles your data speed when your making a call. I was on a call on my iPhone, I tethered to my Kindle Fire, and it was unusably slow. And I had 4-5 bars of service.

I've been with ST on my Apple factory unlocked iPhone 4S for couple of weeks now. So far, so good. The so-called "unlimited" data is relatively easy for me to deal with, because I'm mostly in a strong AT&T- EDGE area (there's a tower 2 miles from my house on the hill above our town), mostly on Wi-Fi at home and at work, although I do visit a 3G/4G area one hour south once every week or two. The speeds are consistent with what I was getting with AT&T on contract (I was with them for less than one month before going unlocked and MVNO). As for AT&T 3G, well, it's definitely way better than the so-called 3G that I experienced with Sprint near the end of 12 years with them. That's nothing to speak of 4G, which – albeit not stellar like AT&T in some metropolitan areas –is awesome. I think, in total, I probably average around 1.5 to 2 GB every couple of months. The unlimited calling, texting, and MMS is pretty nice. At $45 per month, with no contract, no deposits, and no credit checks, what's not to like? At this rate, I'm saving about 50% off of my original bill. I couldn't be happier.

For those that are interested in going with ST using a smart phone, my best advice is to use commonsense, don't go crazy with the data and use Wi-Fi whenever possible.

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

So your MMS works fine? I ask because I've heard from some that they weren't able to make it work :-\

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Arch_l33t said:
So your MMS works fine? I ask because I've heard from some that they weren't able to make it work :-\

If some users couldn't get it to work they were doing something wrong.lol.

It works fine. There are 2 ways to make MMS work.

1) jailbreak (and install TetherMe...which enables editing of the APN settings).
2) edit a backup file with iBackupBot and restore to that backup.

I personally think both are equally easy to do. Follow the directions exactly and it works every time.

Last edited:
If some users couldn't get it to work they were doing something wrong.lol.

It works fine. There are 2 ways to make MMS work.

1) jailbreak
2) edit a backup file with iBackupBot and restore to that backup.

I personally think both are equally easy to do. Follow the directions exactly and it works every time.

Lol not really sure how doing either would enable MMS as I'm new to these forums.. I'm an android vet and to access APN settings normally I'd just use a dialer code or something to that effect. I'll have to research those options you mentioned. $45 a month is too little to turn away..

Lol not really sure how doing either would enable MMS as I'm new to these forums.. I'm an android vet and to access APN settings normally I'd just use a dialer code or something to that effect. I'll have to research those options you mentioned. $45 a month is too little to turn away..

That short answer is, Android exposes the APN settings and iOS doesn't. But since iOS has to reboot, there is a file on disk that has to be read. iBackupBot allows you to edit that file and once you do the full restore, the new settings are read on the reboot.