What's new

Speech to text app that recognizes INDIVIDUAL characters?>>

cokewithvanilla

Reaction score
Hello. I have a question. This seems to be much easier than normal speech to text, therefore I feel it can be done and might be out there. I need a speech to text app that will ONLY recognize individual characters. For example "M" "S" "K" "U" "8" "5" "7" "4" "2" "1" "6"

would put out

MSKU 8574216

currently, using Dragon Dictation, it will output something more like

MSK you 857-4216

I do not wish for it to try to convert my speech into meaningful sentences, in this case, the word "you" instead of "U" and a phone number, instead of numbers

any ideas???

I did a brief Google search and couldn't really find an app that would do what you wish.

However, I put your phrase into the SpeakIt! App ($1.99, USD) and put a space in between each character. The voice then read each element separately.

Yeah, a bit of a hack, and probably annoying on the bigger inputs [to put the spaces in], but that's all I could figure out. Sorry.

Marilyn

I did a brief Google search and couldn't really find an app that would do what you wish.

However, I put your phrase into the SpeakIt! App ($1.99, USD) and put a space in between each character. The voice then read each element separately.

Yeah, a bit of a hack, and probably annoying on the bigger inputs [to put the spaces in], but that's all I could figure out. Sorry.

Marilyn

I think I may not have been clear enough. I do not want the app to speak my text, I want it to understand my voice and put it down as text. Basically, I want a speech recognition application that does not tryto be 'smart' and try to make sentences out of nothing.

Alternately, is there any way to 'train' an app to recognize speech as I want it to, not as it sees fit?

Siri is based on Nuance's technology. There is no verbal override command to stop the dash in a seven digit sequence. And I reconfirmed this with a few Google searches.

Basically there is no straight alpha/numerical preprocess command. Also remember that Siri has less than 25% of Nuances total command set. Which makes the possibility of this ever being added, almost nil in my opinion.

Siri is based on Nuance's technology. There is no verbal override command to stop the dash in a seven digit sequence. And I reconfirmed this with a few Google searches.

Basically there is no straight alpha/numerical preprocess command. Also remember that Siri has less than 25% of Nuances total command set. Which makes the possibility of this ever being added, almost nil in my opinion.

Thanks. I can deal with the dash, as all this with be output to excel. However, the "you" or other things (because the "you", is by far the best of the auto corrections), is unworkable. Is there any app for iphone, android, windows phone, pc, anything that will do this type of thing???? This seems like it would be something found on speech recognition of ten years ago. I just simply need to NOT try to make sentences. I'll take any program for any platform that will allow me to simply say a letter, and it recognize a letter instead of trying to get all complicated and screw things up.

I am trying to get it to recognize container numbers. So, there is a finite number of prefixes (MSKU, NYKU, TCNU, HLXU, etc.) I even tried adding those prefixes as contacts to my phone, so it would recognize the contact... only, since it is recognizing "MSKU" as "MSK you" that doesn't work. My last resort would be to assign prefixes numeric values, though this isn't very intuitive. It's amazing that speech recognition software is too complicated to handle this simple task.

edit: NYKU = "and why KU". I was going to remove the U entirely, as all prefixes end with U, but as you can see, that wouldn't even help me here

Last edited:
AHA!

The solution was so simple. I found it while reading a white paper on voice recognition, but it is so obvious. They were trying to improve letter recognition, and mentioned that it is hard to recognize individual characters, even for humans. For this reason, the military uses "Alpha", "Bravo", ect. Duh! I will use those, and have excel convert those to letters.

Now all I need is a dictation software that will write to a note pad, or something. All the software I find erases everything upon close. I can just imagine taking 30 minutes to do a yard check, and coming back empty handed due to accidentally hitting a button or getting a phone call.

edit: oooooo OpenEars might be the ultimate solution. It ONLY recognizes phrases in its dictionary!

Last edited:
It would be simpler to get an iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S with iOS 6 or 7 since voice recognition is a built in feature that can be used in any iOS application.

It would be simpler to get an iPhone 4S, 5 or 5S with iOS 6 or 7 since voice recognition is a built in feature that can be used in any iOS application.

I have an iphone 5. I haven't enabled siri... I really would like something that didn't need to go online to figure itself out.

Something to consider then, buy a used Android phone. Should be able to find one for under $100 that will do exactly what you want. Its voice recognition requires no Internet connection, works across all apps and you can use either wifi or USB to retrieve the final data very easily.

Something to consider then, buy a used Android phone. Should be able to find one for under $100 that will do exactly what you want. Its voice recognition requires no Internet connection, works across all apps and you can use either wifi or USB to retrieve the final data very easily.

thats a great suggestion. I am having great success with headphones/microphone. I am sure android tables have this functionality as well, long with the microphone capability. A tablet would be desirable.

thats a great suggestion. I am having great success with headphones/microphone. I am sure android tables have this functionality as well, long with the microphone capability. A tablet would be desirable.

Android tablets are cheap right now. In fact since the new Nexus 7 (1013) model came out the original Nexus 7 (2012) has falling in price substantially. Amazon.com: ASUS Nexus 7 (7-Inch, 32GB) Tablet (2012): Computers & Accessories

So you might be able to pick it up used for even less.