What's new

Siri’s Comprehension and Accuracy Put to the Test

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
6652-siri-loves-nokia.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on new tests on Siri’s abilities as a search engine, and especially in comparison to Google. The tests were carried out by Piper Jaffray’s Apple expert analyst, Gene Munster, who, along with his team, gave Siri 800 questions to answer in two different situations, in order to measure the response. For the first situation, the questions were posed to Siri in a quiet room, without any headphones, and in the second situation, the questions were posed on a busy Minneapolis street, via Skull Candy microphone headphones. According to the test results, Siri’s comprehension on the street measured 83%, with 62% accuracy, with a slight improvement in the quiet room, with 89% comprehension and 68% accuracy. However, when compared to Google, with queries keyed in as text, Google proved to be 86% accurate. AppleInsider also gives examples of questions that Siri had problems with, such as looking up a person called “Elvis Buried” when asked “Where is Elvis buried?”

Munster said that he rated Google A+ for comprehension and B+ for accuracy, and rated Siri B for comprehension and D for accuracy.

Source: Street test measures Siri comprehension at 83%, accuracy at 62%

I think I'll change my name to Elvis Buried!

The Archangel

This is one thing that Google has nailed. My iPhone is definitely the slicker device all in all but my Galaxy's speech recognition in all circumstances and situations is so, so, so, so much better.

Apple definitely needs to work on the speech recognition. I asked Siri who is Bruce lee to which it replied, "I don't see brusely in your contacts".

Dictation definitely needs worked on, alot of swear words do not show up correctly.