What's new

Sim Card Question

craigtaz

Reaction score
My local Apple store kindly replaced my 4S today due to a hardware problem. I originally bought the phone from Verizon. When the Apple tech tried to program my new iPhone, he said the Verizon servers were down, and that I'd have to take the phone to a Verizon store to have them program it (my luck sucks). He gave me my old sim card and told me to give it to Verizon when I got there.

I go to the nearest Verizon store and instantly became worried when the guy at the counter couldn't even figure out how to open the sim card slot cover. He then disappeared for about a half hour. When he returned, he asked me if the Apple tech had instructed me to re-insert the sim card. I said I assume so, since they told me to give it to you. He then said that the phone won't work if he inserts the sim card. He said I don't need it anyway unless I plan to travel globally.

I'm probably going to make another appointment at the Apple store and verify this, but I'd thought I come here first. Is this guy handing me a line of bull?

Craig

craigtaz said:
My local Apple store kindly replaced my 4S today due to a hardware problem. I originally bought the phone from Verizon. When the Apple tech tried to program my new iPhone, he said the Verizon servers were down, and that I'd have to take the phone to a Verizon store to have them program it (my luck sucks). He gave me my old sim card and told me to give it to Verizon when I got there.

I go to the nearest Verizon store and instantly became worried when the guy at the counter couldn't even figure out how to open the sim card slot cover. He then disappeared for about a half hour. When he returned, he asked me if the Apple tech had instructed me to re-insert the sim card. I said I assume so, since they told me to give it to you. He then said that the phone won't work if he inserts the sim card. He said I don't need it anyway unless I plan to travel globally.

I'm probably going to make another appointment at the Apple store and verify this, but I'd thought I come here first. Is this guy handing me a line of bull?

Craig

Verizon is CDMA as opposed to GSM so people on Verizon don't use SIM cards. The only reason you would need one in a Verizon 4s is to travel overseas. So yes the Verizon tech was correct.

Ok thanks. Now on to the next problem....my contacts list

I just thought of something, if I don't need a sim card, why did the Apple tech tell me that he took it out of my defective phone, and that i needed to give it to Verizon? I'm confused...