What's new

Shock Ofcom Decision Gives Orange and T-Mobile 4G Head Start in UK

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
2607-iphone-4s.JPG

Some very surprising news here in the UK today, as reported on by The Verge, with the shock decision by UK telecoms regulator Ofcom to give Everything Everywhere final approval to start running an LTE service on its 1800MHz spectrum, way before the previously announced 4G auction, which is set to kick off next year. And while iPhone and iPad users in the UK might not recognise the name Everything Everywhere, they will most certainly recognise the names Orange and T-Mobile, which are the two carriers that come under the Everything Everywhere banner in the UK. So, that’s great news for them, and for UK customers, but not such good news for the big three carriers in the UK, namely O2, Vodafone, and Three, who are all still waiting patiently for the 4G auction, and will have to sit back and watch their rivals steal a march on them. As The Verge notes, Vodafone has not minced its words with the statement it has issued today on the matter, saying that it is “frankly shocked” by Ofcom’s decision, before going on to say, “the regular has shown a careless disregard for the best interests of consumers, businesses and the wider economy through its refusal to properly regard the competitive distortion created by allowing one operator to run services before the ground has been laid for a fully competitive 4G market.” O2 has also said it is “hugely disappointed,” and Three has said “further liberalisation without addressing competition issues could make that distortion worse.”

Meanwhile, the big three can complain all they like, as The Verge reports that as it now stands, Orange and T-Mobile will be able to offer LTE connectivity from September 11 onwards.

Source: Everything Everywhere earns Ofcom approval for early LTE in UK, Vodafone left 'shocked' | The Verge

I think this is a good thing because it gives more competition and also hopefully will make the other carriers want to work faster to deliver LTE in the UK especially with the new ipad already having LTE capabilities and the next iphone likely to have them as well playing catch up with the other countries that have had LTE for some time though we have the next best thing.

That isn't a great decision because it leaves O2 and Vodafone as well as three at a major disadvantage. These carriers would have loved to be offer 4g ESP if the new iPhone offers 4g. The people who would like to buy the new iPhone are also likely to want 4g for it- all meaning ofcom have given everything everywhere a massive advantage.

That isn't a great decision because it leaves O2 and Vodafone as well as three at a major disadvantage. These carriers would have loved to be offer 4g ESP if the new iPhone offers 4g. The people who would like to buy the new iPhone are also likely to want 4g for it- all meaning ofcom have given everything everywhere a massive advantage.

Maybe at the beginning it will do so but it does not mean the service will be amazing or even good so when the other carriers catch up you may see things change to their advantage and it pushes them to move things along quicker.. I think this is very good for the customer but obviously not for the carriers

Well even for consumers (assuming the new iPhone comes out with 4g) do they go for everything everywhere with what is likely to be questionable service from previous experience or do they have a dud 4g chip while waiting months for the big carriers to sort out their 4g? Suppose hspa + is good enough to tide over till then. In an ideal world ofcom should be holding the auction now!

Well as a long term Orange users (1996) I would just like a 3G service !!!
Won't be getting 4g until next October as have the 4s and contract up next year

Well even for consumers (assuming the new iPhone comes out with 4g) do they go for everything everywhere with what is likely to be questionable service from previous experience or do they have a dud 4g chip while waiting months for the big carriers to sort out their 4g? Suppose hspa + is good enough to tide over till then. In an ideal world ofcom should be holding the auction now!

I am going to hold off and see what carriers offer the better deals more data allowances and no restrictions like AT&T plan on having with services like FaceTime they want to charge extra to use it over a data connection so you never know! I am going to stick with hspa until all the carriers offer 4G, I did that with my ISP some years ago when this adsl ISP was the first to offer 8meg speeds and now they are bankrupt and out of business and people are not always quick to jump to another carrier... It's about time the uk gets lte though.

Well as a long term Orange users (1996) I would just like a 3G service !!!
Won't be getting 4g until next October as have the 4s and contract up next year

I. Have not used orange in years I would use O2 or three vids is good but expensive but three offer more data. Then the rest for cheaper

Unleashed said:
I am going to hold off and see what carriers offer the better deals more data allowances and no restrictions like AT&T plan on having with services like FaceTime they want to charge extra to use it over a data connection so you never know! I am going to stick with hspa until all the carriers offer 4G, I did that with my ISP some years ago when this adsl ISP was the first to offer 8meg speeds and now they are bankrupt and out of business and people are not always quick to jump to another carrier... It's about time the uk gets lte though.

I. Have not used orange in years I would use O2 or three vids is good but expensive but three offer more data. Then the rest for cheaper

Sounds like the sensible thing to do. Interested if three will continue with their unlimited deals.