What's new

semi new to iphone (Android user looking to convert to iPhone 5)

nick779

Reaction score
Hi guys, Nick from pittsburgh, pa here,

background: Im 23 and a former mechanic with an associates degree, and working on a degree in IT and network administration.

Ive never really been a fan of apple products because of how "limited" they seem to be hardware wise, and to an extent the OS being not very customizable, thus me being an PC and android fan. (I love widgets) Over the past few years and many android releases Ive grown to love and hate android at the same time, Ive had 4-5 droid phones, all with their own problems from the keyboard force closing to the phone restarting if i sent and received a text at the same time, but I simply loved the interface. I love droid, but i simply want something more stable and reliable, and the iphone seems to fit the bill especially with facetime and imessage. Now my iOS experience is basically tinkering around with it for a few minutes at a time on my girlfriends iPhone 4, and its a very different setup but i think i still want to make the jump to the 5.
Therefore i have a few concerns:
Im coming from a razr maxx BTW, 4.3 inch screen 960x540p which is big but has a nasty yellow green tinge to it, super long battery life- 3000mAh lipo, and 9mm thick and i love the form factor.
I know the details are still seriously lacking about the Iphone but would the 5 be a step in the right direction? I can handle charging my phone every night but I do not want to have to charge it more then that for normal use, which with my razr i can go usually 2 days on that battery playing games and texting.
second, is there any way to make like a sticky note to show on the "home screen"
third, How difficult is it to transfer google contacts to apple contacts if its even possible?
and lastly, I hate cases, how durable is the iphone without a case? im careful with my phones, but i drop them maybe once every 6 months.

I apologize if these have been already answered, I was hoping for opinions moreso then a how to, but i will definitely search for more common issues.

Also, a iOS newbie guide would be great.

Hi there,

1. Your battery should last you all day. Mine always does.
2. There is probably some sort of widget for the sticky note thing, but you'd have to jailbreak it and install a few tweaks to it (see the Hacking forum)
3. You can easily put your Gmail account on an iPhone but I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
4. The iPhone is a solid build.. I have a case on mine but considering its made of glass, if you drop it on a hard surface it's pretty much a goner.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Hi guys, Nick from pittsburgh, pa here,

background: Im 23 and a former mechanic with an associates degree, and working on a degree in IT and network administration.

Ive never really been a fan of apple products because of how "limited" they seem to be hardware wise, and to an extent the OS being not very customizable, thus me being an PC and android fan. (I love widgets) Over the past few years and many android releases Ive grown to love and hate android at the same time, Ive had 4-5 droid phones, all with their own problems from the keyboard force closing to the phone restarting if i sent and received a text at the same time, but I simply loved the interface. I love droid, but i simply want something more stable and reliable, and the iphone seems to fit the bill especially with facetime and imessage. Now my iOS experience is basically tinkering around with it for a few minutes at a time on my girlfriends iPhone 4, and its a very different setup but i think i still want to make the jump to the 5.
Therefore i have a few concerns:
Im coming from a razr maxx BTW, 4.3 inch screen 960x540p which is big but has a nasty yellow green tinge to it, super long battery life- 3000mAh lipo, and 9mm thick and i love the form factor.
I know the details are still seriously lacking about the Iphone but would the 5 be a step in the right direction? I can handle charging my phone every night but I do not want to have to charge it more then that for normal use, which with my razr i can go usually 2 days on that battery playing games and texting.
second, is there any way to make like a sticky note to show on the "home screen"
third, How difficult is it to transfer google contacts to apple contacts if its even possible?
and lastly, I hate cases, how durable is the iphone without a case? im careful with my phones, but i drop them maybe once every 6 months.

I apologize if these have been already answered, I was hoping for opinions moreso then a how to, but i will definitely search for more common issues.

Also, a iOS newbie guide would be great.

Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure?

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.

Hi there,

1. Your battery should last you all day. Mine always does.
2. There is probably some sort of widget for the sticky note thing, but you'd have to jailbreak it and install a few tweaks to it (see the Hacking forum)
3. You can easily put your Gmail account on an iPhone but I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
4. The iPhone is a solid build.. I have a case on mine but considering its made of glass, if you drop it on a hard surface it's pretty much a goner.

all android contacts are synced to a google account which includes gmail, what i was asking was: is there a way to import my contacts saved in google to the iphone?

Yes you can. We I moved from android to 4S the tech guy at Verizon did it for me