What's new

Saving animated .GIFs

weilertool

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to save an animated give to the Camera Roll, and be able to view it later?? I saved one, but lost it's animation...can't figure out how to keep it animated. Thank you!!

Hi, I'm pretty sure animated gifs are not supported in the Photos folder on the iPhone.

There are 3rd party apps that allow you to save them (keeping them animated), and use them for MMS / email etc.

Edit - I just googled and found an app called i-tim that will allow you to do all of this. It's not a free app unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me how to save an animated give to the Camera Roll, and be able to view it later?? I saved one, but lost it's animation...can't figure out how to keep it animated. Thank you!!

FYI- If you jailbroken you can use a tweak called "Giffy" it will download a .gif file viewed via Safari straight into Camera Roll of your iDevice and animate it..

if you are looking for a gif on google for example go all the way on safari until you see the actual gif (the continuous loop animation). Save that image to your camera roll. it will not show animation in the photos app, but when you send as a message it will animate to a gif. Just make sure you save it when its in the actual animation form. if you save it when its still the first picture then it will stay a picture. (Safari is complicated and limited still on the iPhone)

Last edited by a moderator: