Rumor: Apple to bring Face ID to the HomePod

Discussion in 'iPhone and Home Automation' started by iDan, Nov 13, 2017.

1. iDan

iDan Administrator Staff Member

It's always fun to hear rumors on a second generation of a product that hasn't even launched yet!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 4Nines

4Nines Administrator Staff Member

What would the benefit be to have this feature on the HomePod? I can't really think of any good uses of this tech off the top of my head?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. applexman

applexman Active Member

I would guess it is for keyless entry locks for homes, I have a system that uses a keypad or fob, can also be opened with an App, but face recognition would be more secure. Amazon are working on a system at the moment for couriers to go in your house and leave a parcel, I can't see me ever doing that plus my home insurance would be invalid

4. 4Nines

4Nines Administrator Staff Member

So the locks themselves would have to have the face ID scanner on them?

5. applexman

applexman Active Member

I would guess so as technically you need to unlock my phone with Face ID to get to my App, I have a doorbell with live video, its the Ring system but not 100% reliable, I have had a mesh wifi system installed and apparently this confuses the Ring system as it bounces between zones, Ring are sending me one of their own repeaters called a 'Chime' that will work direct from the router to counter that issue. Maybe Ring will have face ID in the future.

I have had a Netatmo camera system throughout my house for a few years and that has face ID, it lets you know who enters by which door by name.

• Informative Informative x 1