What's new

Report from TechCrunch Makes Good Argument for Larger 4-Inch Sized iPhone Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
super-iphone.jpg

Yesterday, we shared the news/rumor that Apple plans to increase the screen size of the future iPhone 5. The intel came from the Wall Street Journal so it is very likely legit, and this news sparked a conversation across the web. There are some folks that are perfectly comfortable with the iPhone and its size right now, but there also seems to be many that would like to see an increase in display size for the phone. Today, an article over at The Verge made some very good points regarding this topic, and made the case that it could be the perfect time to increase the size of the iPhone's screen to just about 4-inches. Here's a quote from the article that summarizes the key points of their argument,

...by using a 3.99-inch 9:5 screen, iOS would scale nearly perfectly and add an additional row for icons on the homescreen. It would then be up to Apple’s all-star marketing team to convince the world it’s a 4-inch screen rather than 3.99.

There are no doubt blind Apple zealots absolutely appalled at the thought of a larger iPhone. Ignore ‘em. Change is inevitable. In response to MG’s take on the Evo 4G back in 2010, I wrote “Saying that the EVO 4G’s screen is too big is like saying, “No thanks, I would rather ride in the back of a cab than in your limo. I like feeling cramped and restricted.”” (We both were right about the phone’s horrible battery life, though) That still holds true today. A large screen, if done right, is an amazing feature and one Apple will likely employ in the future.

big-iphone-idea.png

There was one other argument for an increase in screen size that they didn't make. By increasing the screen size, Apple could probably also increase the resolution which would make the gorgeous Retina display even more beautiful. Do you guys think a move to a larger screen is a good thing or a bad thing? And, what would be the largest screen size you would like to see the iPhone grow to? Share your thoughts.

You can read more of the TechCrunch article at the source link below. We also included their pictures, because one was informative, and the other was just plain funny. :)

Source: TechCrunch

Apple has only two coordinate system at present for iOS developers. They are 480 x 320 and 1024 x 768. With well over 800K apps on the market that only use those two systems for placing pixels on the screen, I doubt they are going to change anything without an introduction of a completely new product line.

So if they take the screen to 4", it will be at the same exact resolution of the previous iPhone 4 & 4S. And they will still be able to claim a "Retina" display because they changed the definition of "Retina" to mean "A screen that is held at X inches from the eyes with no perceivable pixelization".

^^ Thanks for the tech lesson brutha! I did not know that. I guess my own added comment at the end of the article is moot then. Still, seeing the Retina display at 4-inches will make things alot easier to read especially for older eyes!

AMEN! I really really hope they make the next iPhone with a 4" screen. I am getting too old for this 3.5" LOL

I really think 4" is the sweet spot. It's large enough for displaying media but small enough to not be a brick.

I really think 4" is the sweet spot. It's large enough for displaying media but small enough to not be a brick.

Agree 100%. I can't wait for my 4s to arrive. This Razr is just too big. I like a 4" screen with little to no bezel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk